Is It Not Nifty is the first book of the web comic Sluggy Freelance by Pete Abrams. The comic began to be published online on August 25, 1997.

Is It Not Nifty was published in book form by Plan Nine Publishing in Thomasville, NC, and the first printing was done in 1998*. It is 160 pages long, and covers the span from the first comic (Satan) to the Slug-Files.


A synopsis of the book, along with the date each chapter began online:

Chapter 1: Is It Not Nifty?

Satan (8/25/97): Riff summons the devil into his computer
Along Came a Bunny (8/31/97): Torg decides that the comic needs a cute animal friend, but doesn't count on getting one like Bun-bun.
Teddy Weddy (9/9/97): Torg tries to off Bun-bun with a bigger, scarier animal. Who do you think wins?
Demon Summoning Week (9/15/97): Torg and Riff us the Book of E-ville to summon a demon.
The Bikini-Suicide-Frisbee-Match (9/22/97): Torg and Riff meet Zoe, and then abandon her for bikini-clad women playing frisbee.

Chapter 2: The Sci-Fi Adventure

The Flux Agitator (9/29/97): Torg and Riff are zapped into an alternate dimension. Star Trek parody.
Engineers? (10/6/97): Torg and Riff pass themselves off as engineers on a spaceship.
Get me a Proctologist (10/12/97): Here come some nasty creatures. Aliens parody. Enter Aylee.

Chapter 3: Holiday Seasons


Halloween Week (10/28/97): The first Sluggy Halloween, and our first glimpse of The Evil.
The Lab (11/8/97): Bun-bun is used in cosmetics testing. Enter Dr. Schlock.
The Dr. Lorna Radio Show (11/16/97): Zoe starts an internship at the Dr. Lorna Radio Show, and we learn that not only is Dr. Lorna a complete bitch, but also that she is Riff's mother.
Thanksgiving Week (11/25/97): PETA vs. turkey eaters
Sluggy of the Living Freelance (12/1/97): The gang goes to a house in the woods and is attacked by the undead. Night of the Living Dead parody.
Christmas Week (12/19/97): Bun-bun's long-standing fued with Santa is revealed.
New Year's Eve Week (12/28/97): Zoe and Bun-bun get trashed. Habby new beer!

Chapter 4: The Slug-Files

Torg's Blind Date (1/3/98): Read this before trying online dating.
Return of the Alien (1/11/98): We see Aylee again, and Torg hires her as his secretary.
Aylee vs. Bun-bun (1/19/98): Aylee doesn't know what she's getting herself into by eating Bun-bun.
An Interlude in Vermont (1/27/98): Zoe and Gwynn are invited to Vermont with Dr. Lorna, and Torg and Riff go too. Also, a Bun-bun sex scandal. Fun for everyone!
Driving Miss Aylee (2/26/98): Torg finds out how difficult it is to teach an alien how to drive.
The Slug-Files (3/1/98): Agents Muldy and Cruller are on the case when they find a picture of Aylee driving. Parody of the X-Files.


Sluggy Freelance Books:

Book 1: Is It Not Nifty?
Book 2: Worship the Comic
Book 3: When Holidays Attack!
Book 4: Game Called on Account of Naked Chick
Book 5: Yippy Skippy, The Evil!
Book 6: The Bug, the Witch, and the Robot
Book 7: A Very Big Bang!
Book 8: Fire and Rain


*useless factoid: the first edition is slightly larger than the second edition, and the bars on the cover are purple, not blue

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.