Isaac Bonewits (October 1st, 1949 - August 12, 2010, born Philip Emmon Isaac Bonewits) was a Neopagan known for many things. He was the founder and Archdruid Emeritus of Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship. He graduated from Berkeley in 1970 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Magic. He wrote the books Real Magic, Authentic Thaumaturgy, and Witchcraft: A Concise Guide.

Isaac had very strong opinions about things, and did not hesitate to tell people about them. This caused some rifts when he tried to push the Reformed Druids of North America into becoming a Neopagan organization, for instance. His sense of humor was fairly dry; in his A Pagan Glossary of Terms, you will find discipline defined as:

Training or experience that corrects, molds, strengthens, or perfects (especially) the mental faculties or moral character; noted primarily by its absence in American occult groups.
Isaac was not all-accepting and all-flexible (unlike others in the Pagan community), and did not seek to be perfectly inclusive; he dislikes racism, sexism, and other prejudice to the point where, in his view, Neopaganism requires the absence of them, as well as dualism (which he considers separate from polarity). He disliked, possibly to the point of being prejudiced himself, fundamentalism, particularly Christian fundamentalism (a term he considers to include Satanism, as he views it as merely an inversion of conservative Christianity).

He was described by others as someone that sees needs before they happen. He was one of the major voices pushing for greater Pagan organization, better financial support systems for Pagan thinkers, and trying to keep Paganism in the public eye until it becomes everyday.

His website has a number of writings freely available, such as a much more detailed version of The Laws Of Magic and commentaries on the Pagan community, polyamory, and other interests of his.

P. E. I. Bonewits is known among persons concerned about dangerous cults as the creator of the Advanced Bonewits Cult Danger Evaluation Frame, or ABCDEF. As a neopagan and druid leader, Bonewits is concerned to reduce the number of people harmed by dangerous cults -- but also to help people distinguish between innocent "new religious movements" (such as most of neopaganism) and harmful ones.

He is also an outspoken critic of Satanism, and particularly of many Satanists' attempts to convince the public that Satanism is part of neopaganism. Satanists, he argues, have attempted to co-opt the public's growing tolerance for neopaganism, and done so to neopaganism's detriment. His essays on the subject include "My Satanic Adventure" and "The Enemies of our Enemies".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.