When I was merely GangstaFeelsYoung, my Grandfather used to read me stories out of a dog-eared fading, yellow old book, called Jewish Folk Tales. There were some great stories that had been passed down for centuries. This here is one of my favorites. And its pretty famous too. You've probably heard it in some form before.

The Poor Jew had come to the end of his rope. So he went to his Rabbi for advice.

"Holy Rabbi!" he cried. "Things are in a bad way with em, and are getting worse all the time! We are poor, so poor, that my wife, my six children, my in-laws and I have to live in a one room hut. We get in each other's way all the time. Our nerves are frayed and, because we have plenty of troubles, we quarrel. Believe me--my home is a hell and I'd sooner die than continue living this way!"

The Rabbi pondered the matter gravely. "My son," he said ,"promise to do as I tell you and your condition will improve."

"I promise, Rabbi," answered the troubled man. "I'll do anything you say"

"Tell me--what animals do you own?"

"I have a cow, a goat, and some chickens."

"Very well! Go home now and take all these animals in your house to live with you."

The poor man was dumbfounded, but since he had promised the Rabbi, he went home and brought all the animals into his house.

The following day the poor man returned to the Rabbi and cried, "Rabbi, what misfortune you have brought opon me! I did as you told me and brought the animals into the house. And now what have I got? Things are worse than ever! My life is a perfect hell--the house turned into a barn! Save me, Rabbi--help me!"

"My son," replied the rabbi serenely, "go home and take the chickens out of your house. God will help you."

So the poor man went home and and took the chickens out of the house. But it was not long before he again came running to the rabbi.

"Holy Rabbi!" he waile. "Help me, save me! The goat is smashing everything in the house--she's turning my life into a nightmare."

"Go home," said the rabbi gently, and take the goat out of the house. God will help you!"

The poor man returned to his house and removed the goat. But it wasn't long before he again came running to the rabbi, lamenting loudly, "What a misfortune you've brought upon my head, Rabbi! The cow turned my house into a stable! How can you expect a human being to live side by side with an animal?"

"You're right--a hundred times right!" agreed the rabbi. "Go straight home and take the cow out of your house!"

And now the poor unfortunate hastened home and took the cow out of his house.

Not a day had passed before he came runing afain to the rabbi. "Rabbi!" cried the poor man, his face beaming. "You've made life sweet again for me. With all the animals out, the house is so quiet, so roomy, and so clean! What a pleasure!"

THE END

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.