WARNING! HERE COME SPOILERS! WATCH YO ASS!


Title: Synchronicity
Release Date: May 1998
Writer: Mark Waid
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (Hippolyta), Aquaman, Green Lantern, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, Steel, Huntress, Barda, and Oracle.
Bad Guys: Julian September.

So what happens?
The JLA is suddenly being plagued by strange coincidences and disappearances: Plastic Man and Aquaman just happen to be in the same part of the Snake River to catch some bank robbers, then Aquaman vanishes; Huntress just happens to be in the right place to foil an assassination attempt on Bruce Wayne, then she disappears; Wonder Woman, Superman, and Steel save seven airliners from crashing into each other, then Steel disappears; Zauriel and Orion also mysteriously vanish. Rains of lizards plague Ohio, a piece of Skylab falls into the National Air and Space Museum, and typhoid strikes every single person in Wyoming with the last name "Dixon". All this while the number 7 eerily crops up over and over and over and a man named Julian September wins a Nobel Prize, makes millions on the stock market, AND wins seven lotteries in a row...

After the Justice League stops seven different supervillains who have decided, independently and by pure coincidence, to try to kidnap the President at the same time (and after Barda also pulls a mysterious disappearing act), they discover that Julian September has also somehow become the President! Turns out that September used to be a quantum physicist who discovered how to manipulate probability. Shocked that he's been found out, September cranks his "Engine of Chance" into overdrive, causing an earthquake in Washington and making seven Tokyo skyscrapers simultaneously burst into flame. Luckily, Batman is able to break the Engine, and September disappears. Unfortunately, the laws of probability are continuing to break down, and more and more bizarre things are changing by the minute.

Luckily, Batman has it all figured out. He says the recurring sevens seem to be the universe's way of using synchronicity to tell them, first of all, that there won't be any more disappearances--the League now consists of exactly seven members. And most importantly...

With that, Batman disappears...

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.