WARNING! FREE SPOILERS INSIDE! COLLECT THEM ALL!


Title: World War III, Part V
Release Date: April 2000
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: Drew Geraci
JLA Members: Batman, the Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Steel, Barda, Plastic Man, the Flash, and Superman.
Guest Stars: Huntress, Metron, Animal Man, and the Glimmer.
Bad Guys: Mageddon and the Queen Bee.
Cameos: Guy Gardner, Captain Atom, Power Girl, the Flash (Jay Garrick), Hawkgirl, Starman, Deadman, Wildcat, Black Canary, Atom Smasher, Sentinel, Hourman, Hippolyta, the Red Tornado, Superboy, the Star-Spangled Kid, S.T.R.I.P.E., Impulse, the Atom, Green Arrow, the Elongated Man, Arsenal, Firestorm, Arrowette, and Mister Miracle.

So what happens?
The whole world is at war, thanks to the ancient and gigantic Mageddon warhead looming over the Earth. India and Pakistan are lobbing nukes at each other, the US is shooting at China and Canada, and no one has heard from Superman and Orion since they teleported into Mageddon. Green Lantern, his spaceship blown up and his ring powerless, is saved by Metron of the New Gods, who tells him that he can use his own willpower to restore his ring and drops him off where all the other superheroes are gathering.

In New York City, the Queen Bee is killing Barda, and Wonder Woman is holding off a bunch of bee-soldiers when Steel realizes that Plastic Man's plan to eliminate the aliens involved using typical bee behavior against them. He wraps himself up in Plastic Man's mostly-flattened form (bees can't see the color red, so Plas' red costume is a perfect disguise), sneaks up on the Queen, activates the Boom Tube Generator, and lets Barda knock the Queen Bee into the Boom Tube. The bee-soldiers follow the Queen back to their Hiveworld.

Meanwhile, in an emergency JLA meeting, Animal Man says he thinks he knows how Mageddon is able to affect their minds and has a plan for counteracting it. The Martian Manhunter tries a telepathic probe into Mageddon to try to find out how Superman and Orion are doing--he discovers Superman has been overwhelmed by the despair broadcast by Mageddon and is now chained inside it, helping to turn its engines.

Finally, a ray of hope: the Flash returns to Earth from an extended visit to the Speed Force, and he's brought help--the last Wonderworlder, a giant speedster called the Glimmer...

Cool Moments!
The Flash brings the Godzilla-sized Glimmer to Earth.

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.