WARNING! SPOILERS! IN GLORIOUS CINEMASCOPE!


Title: The Golden Perfect, Part II
Release Date: April 2002
Writer: Joe Kelly
Penciller: Doug Mahnke
Inker: Tom Nguyen
JLA Members: Wonder Woman, Superman, the Martian Manhunter, the Flash, Green Lantern, and Plastic Man.
Guest Stars: The Atom, Killer Croc, Lois Lane, Perry White, and the Fates.
Bad Guys: Rama Khan and subjective truth run amok.

So what happens?
This issue is better than the last one, but it's still way, way confusing.

Two weeks after the events of the previous issue, after Wonder Woman's golden lasso broke when she couldn't allow herself to justify subjective truths, it is revealed that she insisted that the Justice League leave the Rama Khan alone, since she couldn't know whether he was telling the truth or not. But strange things are happening: a hard-nosed Gotham judge has released Killer Croc from jail after a brutal murder on the basis of Croc's feeble claims of innocence; the Atom has discovered that 2+1=4; Perry White is encouraging Clark Kent and Lois Lane to publish tabloid stories; an alien space probe designed to seek out the center of the universe has suddenly decided that Earth is what it's been looking for all along; Plastic Man cannot tell a lie; mothers are suffering back injuries when their children step on cracks in the sidewalk; the Earth has become flat...

Wonder Woman, in the meantime, has gone on a quest into the worlds of myth, dragging along the remnants of her magic lasso, hoping that the Fates will agree to sew the lasso back together. But when Diana locates Clotho, Lechesis, and Atropos, she finds them beset by huge thread-gobbling insects. They reveal that the magic lasso embodied the essence of Capital-T Truth, and when Wonder Woman doubted the lasso's power, she basically caused truth to stop existing. Essentially, the subjective beliefs of every person on the planet are now allowed to shape the nature of reality. Could be worse, I suppose -- I happen to subjectively believe that Reese Witherspoon thinks I'm hot...

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.