James Bond's first gadget was an attaché case. Hidden about itself was a small knife concealed in the side, 20 rounds of ammo, 50 gold sovereigns, an AR7 sniper rifle and a canister of tear gas which would explode if the case is opened the wrong way. (From Russia With Love)

Though not a very impressive device, he also had a pocket pager. Not very impressive now, but at the time, no one actually had pagers. (From Russia With Love)

Bond did have a jetpack that could raise a man to about 600 ft. It was used during an escape scene. (Thunderball)

He had a rebreather, an emergency breathing device that looked like two miniature pony bottles. There was enough air in it to last four to five minutes. Which is interesting, since the average pony bottle is about four times as large, and contains a scant 30 seconds of air. Of course, the British are not known for breathing overly much. (Thunderball)

There was also an underwater mobile unit containing two oxygen tanks, a propulsion unit, CO2 spear guns, and a light. Again, not a real impressive device, but quite useful. (Thunderball)

One of the first watches he wore was actually a geiger counter. (Thunderball)

Something I wouldn't mind having myself was Little Nellie. A small, powerful weapon, Little Nellie took four suitcases to contain. It had two front machine guns, two front rocket launchers, heat seeking missiles, aerial mines, two back smoke producers, and two backward flame-throwers, plus the ability to fly. (You Only Live Twice)

Seeing the future of scanning technology, James Bond had a combination safe-cracker/copy machine as well in one of the movies that only the truly die-hard James Bond fans have seen. (On Her Majesty's Secret Service)

Never lackinging in style, Bond wore a Rolex that served as a powerful magnet and a spinning blade. (Live and Let Die)

Never one for conventional methods of killing, Bond used a bullet that contained highly compressed air. After being shot with it, the man would inflate like a puffer-fish until he exploded. (Live and Let Die)

One of the very stylish cars James Bond drove was the Astin Martin DB5. Among the not-so-standard features were rotating license plates, machine guns, smoke screen, tracking device, oil slick, an ejector seat, and a bulletproof shield in back(Gold Finger)

Another car driven by the hero was a Lotus Esprit, which had the ability to become a submarine, had depth charges, missiles, and the ability to fascinate beachers. It should be noted that this is the only car in my recollection that he actually returned to Q relatively unharmed. (The Spy Who Loved Me)

James Bond flew around in a Mini-Jet Acrostar as well. It was a quick, light, and small mini-jet with extremely good handling. (Octopussy)

I suppose they were trying to appeal to those of us who can't afford Rolexes, Bond wore a Seiko twice. One was equipped with a directional locator which picked up the frequency emitted by a tiny homing beacon. (Octopussy)

The other Seiko was packed with plastique (C-4) with a timed detonator. (MoonRaker)

Bond also had a dart-gun worn around wrist like a watch and triggered by nerve impulses, the dart gun came with 5 blue-tipped armour piercing darts and 5 red-tipped darts which were cyanide coated. (MoonRaker)

Fulfilling every boyhood dream, Bond gets to fire a "laser beam" gun that can cut through very nearly anything. (MoonRaker)

Not to be outdone, however, he was later featured wearing a very stylish Omega Seamaster Professional Diver's Watch. Hidden within it was a cutting laser as well as a remote detonator. (Goldeneye)

Something I wish I had, personally, was a ballpoint pen that you could convert to a timed grenade by clicking it three times. I love the way it was eventually used. (Goldeneye)

Keeping with the times, bond eventually uses an Ericsson cell-phone that had a fingerprint scanner, a 20,000 volt security system which can be activated by pressing recall, 3, send, on his phone, and a lock pick. He can drive his BMW with the pad inside the phone and he sees where he is going through the screen also on the inside. (Tomorrow Never Dies)

And of course, what BMW would be complete without a special keyring that can release nerve gas with the first bar of "Rule Britannia" whistled at it. As usual it was packed with explosives triggered by wolf whistle and held skeleton keys that could open 90% of world's locks. (The Living Daylights)

I'm sure there are many other gadgets that I'm forgetting and can't find reference to. If you happen to think of any others, feel free to add them to this node.
That's an impressive list! A couple things to add, as requested...

In Moonraker, Bond was given a snazzy twenty-odd foot motorboat which featured rear-firing torpedoes, a mine dropper, and a built-in emergency escape hang glider. Q didn't get that one back. Also in Moonraker he used an x-ray safecracker and a miniature spy camera which had an embossed '007' on the front, with the lens in the middle digit. The lovely Doctor Goodhead, in the same film, was carrying a perfume bottle that acted as a nifty flamethrower, a purse which sprouted an aerial and made sideband noises indicating some form of secure radio, and something I can't remember which extruded an icepick blade or needle.

Although Q did get back the Lotus Esprit at the end of The Spy who Loved Me, it blew itself to smithereens in order to avoid being tampered with in the beginning of For Your Eyes Only. Upon seeing another Lotus in Q's lab later on in the movie, Bond remarks "Ah, I see you got the Lotus back together." Q responds with his trademark "It's not funny, 007."

Little Nellie, as aptly described above, is/was an autogyro.

In Live and Let Die, the 'compressed gas bullet' is actually a real anti-shark device. The intention is to kill the shark by suffocating it; the canister can be used on harpoon gun, spear gun or handheld spears. When the spear tip punctures the shark's skin (at least, you hope it does) the gas floods out the front. Shark hide is tough enough that most of it will be trapped beneath the skin, causing the shark to inflate a bit; while this is merely painful for the shark, it will cause it to float to the surface and make it impossible for the shark to swim. Unable to move to get water past its gills, and stranded on the surface, the shark will likely suffocate. Even if it escapes by dislodging the harpoon, it has given the user (diver) enough time to get the hell out of Dodge.

In Never say Never Again, Bond had a fountain pen that would fire its nib, which was an explosive shell.

In the incomparably awful License to Kill, starring the incomparably wrong Timothy Dalton, Bond has what seems to me to be an incomparably pointless gadget - a signature gun, which was a weapon which could only be fired by someone matching Bond's biometric signature. Now, lemme see...I guess the only way this could possibly come in handy is if:

ssssschy-y-y-e-a-ah.

Oh, well, if Q's lab is fair game...

Moonraker: Q had an explosive bolo under test at the same monastery which was testing the small-arms laser.

The World is Not Enough: Bond casually makes off with Q's retirement fishing mini-boat - which has jet thrusters, submerges, and has various weapons. R is forced to demonstrate Bond's inflatable coat/airbag, which turns up later in the film. A variant of this, the flytrap phonebooth (inflatable airbag traps occupant) also made two appearances - one when set off, one later being wheeled off with the unfortunate victim still inside.

One of my favorite non-Bond gadgets is Auric Goldfinger's Rolls-Royce. Although it really is a Rolls-Royce, its bodywork is made of pure gold. w00t. Thank goodness those things have mongo suspensions.

Impressive, but don't forget these:

In From Russia with love the pager was used in combo with a car phone. Well, it was 1963... James also had a gadget that would detect whether your phone line was bugged or not, simply by placing it under the phone. He also has a tape recorder hidden in a camera.

In Goldfinger, a seagull on the water is actually James swimming, with his snorkel hidden by the bird.  In this movie he also had two different homing devices, one for placement under a car and one placed in the heel of his shoe. In the Q lab, we can also see a teargas spraying parking meter

Another homing device was used in Thunderball, in the form of a swallowable (?) pill. 

You only live twice introduced a device for opening safes. Just turn the knob and numbers on the device would display the correct code, like magic. James also had a rocket launcher disguised as a cigarette. Would never work today, where smoking is rarely allowed...

In On Her Majesty's Secret Service there was a minature camera, which of course was huge by today's standards. 

Diamonds Are Forever had James using an fingerprints imitator, much like the stuff they use on Mission Impossible. He also had a gadget that would change any voice to someone else's voice. I cannot see how that would be abused if it was available to the public... James also had a wire gun, good for scaling buildings. 

In Live and let die he had a hairbrush that also was a morse code radio transmitter

The man with the golden gun was the film where James had a fake third nipple! Very weird indeed. 

In The spy who loved me James had a watch that could dispense a message printed on a small paper roll. The introductory skiing scene sees Bond using his ski pole gun

For your eyes only had that lovely arm cast in Q's lab that would swing away, crushing the face of whoever's to your side. Also, this is where they had that computer for creating phantom images of villains, and then matching them against Interpol's database. In this one, his watch could display message on a small digital display, plus it was a radio. This is used in the end where the parrot is talking to Margaret Thatcher

In Octopussy James uses his pen to melt metals by dispensing some kind of acid, and thereby escaping from his imprisonment. This time his watch has a small liquid crystal display with which he can follow the villain

Never say never again had James' watch shooting a laser beam that would cut through anything. 

In A view to a kill James searches for microchips with some kind of device that sends out emps. He also had a sophisticated bug detector that would indicate the customary bugging device in James' room. Also, James had sunglasses that would look through one-way mirrors, a handy check replicator, a ring camera] and a credit card lock pick device.

License to kill introduced plastic explosive in toothpaste tube and a laser Polaroid camera.

Reference: I did check some James Bond websites for some of these!

No one has really included the latest gadgets in the James Bond movie "The World Is Not Enough" in this movie 007 gets to play with :

  • A Prototype Speedboat - Can also operate as a submarine and drive on roads. It can fire missiles and has GPS. Hijacked by 007, whilst Q was testing it, to chase the assasin of Lord King.
  • Jacket - In times of trouble press a button and this jacket will become an immensly strong bubble of material encompassing the immediate area of the wearer. 007 uses this to protect himself and Electra from an avalanche.
  • BMW - Usual extras and missiles. In this movie the car doesn't have much of the role except for quickly shooting down a helicopter before getting sliced in half by another one.
  • Omega Seamaster Watch - Grappling gun and high powered flashlight. Used to escape nuclear bomb pit.
  • Visa Card - Electronic lock pick used to break into Electra's office.
  • X-Ray Glasses - Blue tinted, used by Bond to check out the ladies' sexy undergarments and hidden guns.
  • Not a Bond gadget per se, since it's something a bad guy plays with, but it is one of the coolest, and would have fitted in well with the early movies, From Russia With Love particularly.

    I'm talking about the gun used by Francisco Scaramanga, title weapon of The Man With The Golden Gun (Beats that fake third nipple hands down). When you're a million dollar a job hitman (It was the fifties, okay? Leave Ian Flemming alone) you get to have a shiny gun made of gold.

    That's not the cool part. This gun is one he needs to smuggle into various countries, and so this gun comes in pieces, all perfectly innocent items for a businessman or millionaire on holiday to have on his person:

    • Cigarette Lighter
    • Cigarette Case
    • Pen
    • Cufflink

    These are all made from gold (Presumably gold casing as the stuff is not exactly good for precision parts). The gun takes one bullet, made from gold and inscribed with the name of the intended target. He only needs one shot.

    The gun in action as a gun just involved Christopher Lee or Roger Moore holding a boxy, toylike weapon. There is though a scene where Scaramanga kills his employer, the gangster Hi Fat. Sitting at Hi Fat's desk Scaramanga listens to him walk around the room describing his plan. Scaramanga listens, assembling the gun, and then shoots him, takes it apart, places the items in his pockets and leaves.

    Classy.

    Comprehensive list here, but here are a few that I think were forgotten, both from Tomorrow Never Dies.

    In the opening sequence Bond also uses a gold cigarette lighter which he later primes and throws as a grenade at some explosive barrels.

    Bond's wristwatch features a small, postage stamp-sized remote-activated explosive. It is powerful enough to smash the glass jar it was attached to, and inside the jar, of course, was a primed grenade which subsequently exploded. All three (stamp, jar, grenade) were, of course, sitting next to more explosive barrels. The remote control was part of the watch.

    Bond's gadgets are not of course limited to the movies. I'm no Bond buff, but in The Man With The Red Tattoo by Raymond Benson, he and some other 00 agents are provided with a selection of newer gadgets to play around with - which, as per usual, Bond ends up using once each during his adventure.

    First off is a cigar filled with plastic explosive, the tip of which can be used as a timer and detonator. He also receives a mobile phone with a homing device in it, and a functional Palm Pilot with a self-destruct mechanism and a electromagnetic pulse capability - capable of knocking out electronics such as locks. Lastly a blister pack of three different colours of antacids. Red ones contain a tiny amount of concentrated explosives capable of knocking a door off its hinges; pink ones are smoke bombs; and white ones are, in something of a departure for Q department, real antacid tablets. Other devices Bond uses during the book include a small plastic dagger hidden in his shoe, a lockpick in his heel, and a pair of miniature knives in his shirt collar.

    To add some of the latest round of Bond gadgets. (from Die Another Day)

    The most impressive, of course is the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish. One of the newest models from the renowned automaker, it comes with all the usual refinements, including motion-sensing antimissile guns, heat-seeking missiles, ejector seats, radar, thermal imaging, and a cloaking device.

    Bond sports the usual watch with a built-in laser cutter, as well as a ring capable of shattering glass with a high-frequency sound pulse.

    The film is filled with homages to the previous 19, including a scene where Bond visits the Q lab, and sees the aforementioned attaché case, as well as the jet-pack..."This thing still work?"

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.