Australian musician aka Foetus, J. G. Thirlwell, Clint Ruin

The deranged genius behind band names like You've got Foetus On Your Breath, Foetus Uber Frisco, Scraping Foetus off the Wheel and Foetus Interruptus. Most of these bands are actually solo acts with scattered appearances by other musicians.

It's almost pointless to try to describe Thirlwell's music since he switches between post-punk hardcore guitar blasting, through industrial hammering a la Einstürzende Neubauten, to something that sounds like The Manhattan Transfer on speed, all in one album. The common denominator is a dark sense of humor evident both in the sometimes very disturbing lyrics and his experiments with every music genre imaginable.

Apart from his own projects, Thirlwell has also produced and remixed (or "Foetusized") the works of other bands like EMF, Prong, Nine Inch Nails and The The. Thirlwell also appears in other constelletions, two prominent ones being Wiseblood with ex-Swans member Roli Mosimann and Flesh Volcano with Marc Almond of Soft Cell.

Another project, Stereoid Maximus, features lots of people, underground musicians, skateboard artists and what have you. The result is big band jazz and symphonic weirdness that is more fun than pleasant to listen to, but worth giving a try.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.