Flemish painter active in Bruges. Together with Robert Campin, he developed the "Ars Nova" style, predecessor to the Renaissance in northern Europe.

Not much is known about van Eyck's early years. He was probably born in Limbourg in 1395, and began working for John of Bavaria in 1422. Word of his proficiency spread, and in 1425 he was hired by Philip the Good, duke of Burgundy. The duties of the court painter included not only art, but also diplomacy and serving as an advisor for the duke.
Van Eyck died in 1441. He retained the title of court painter until his death.

Nine signed and dated paintings still exist, the dates ranging from 1432 to 1439. Many more have been attributed to him, especially altarpieces and religious works. The style is typical "Ars Nova", meticulously detailed portraits and scenes from the bible.

Defining and famous works include:
  • The Arnolfini Marriage, 1434. Portrait of the Arnolfinis (or is it Jay Kay from Jamiroquai?) in their home. A replica of a mirror in the background was used in the movie Ever After.
  • The Madonna of Canon van der Paele, 1436.
  • The Ghent Altarpiece, completed in 1432. Oil on wood, painted with the artist's brother Hubert van Eyck.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.