Stayed in bed a while longer this morning -- pretty tired, actually. Got up, stretched (no yoga, will do that tomorrow), put dishes away from the dishwasher, showered and walked back over to Pender where I had breakfast at the Smile Restaurant: looks like a typical local diner.

I walked past it yesterday and saw that it had pancakes, which I ordered, along with "brown" toast (I tried to clarify that I wanted wheat toast but brown it would have to be (and wheat it was)), sausage (3), eggs (3 as well, over medium). Endless cups of coffee brought by a Japanese waitress who began and ended every sentence with either "hello" or "please".

"Please for coffee yes?"

"Hello your toast brown please?"

I spread out the weekend edition of the Globe and Mail and percghed my butt on the narrow green bench of the booth. It seemed like very much a locals place and not much redecorated since about 1967. I love a place that serves breakfast all day.

Hiked down to the seawall again in a fine but strengthening mist. I wanted to get a picture of Inukshuk -- the welcoming totem. Based on yesterday's run and my tiny map, I wound up exactly where I thought it would be (Robson to Cordero, go left, keep walking until the seawall, Inny will be off to the right).

Took a few pictures. Saw two seals in the shallows. They vanished before I could get them in the viewfinder. Stood looking out over the water and the coastline and the clouded mountains and wished I could live here. Oh well.

Spoke briefly to a couple from Winnipeg who were on their way to the aquarium at Stanley Park. It made me briefly think about going, but then I though a) too expensive, I'm sure and b) it would be something during which I would keep saying, "Wow, I bet the boys would love this." And I know sadness and depression would follow -- so no go.

Off to the library. Wrote for about an hour and a half. Then on to Nestor's for supplies. Football -- Chicago and Indy (finally!!) going to the Super Bowl.

C_ called twice, but I let it ring -- the last time we chatted didn't leave me feeling that great and I didn;t want to repeat it. The third time I answered -- we talked briefly about the Indy game ans then she said J_ wanted to talk to me, which felt nice. I spoke with him for a bit and then V_ -- it was good talking to them -- and then the call dropped. No one called back, and I didn't try. Would hate to run up that phone bill. Or help C_'s track record of not mentioning my trip. Oh well.

I've come to accept that I can no longer make her happy. It seems as well that she is no longer happy with me. No matter what.

< Lastday : Firstday : Nextday >

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.