The subway guy. Fogle used to weigh 425 pounds, but lost 245 pounds in nine months by eating only Subway sandwiches. The exact menu was:

Fogle also walked 1.5 miles a day. He's a graduate of Indiana University. Currently he has a 34-inch waist.

After his commercial started airing, Subway ran low on turkey.

Quite the amazing bloke.

At 6'2" and 425 pounds, Fogle decided it was time for a change.  His college apartment was right next door to a Subway restaurant that he ate at frequently.  One day, noticing the "7 Under 6" sign advertising Subway's 7 sandwiches with 6.0 grams of fat or less, he decided it might be a good way to lose some weight.

So, in March of 1998, Jared went on the "Subway Diet".  For lunch, he ate a 6-inch turkey sub (no oil, mayo, condiments or cheese) with a Diet Coke and a bag of potato chips.  He returned at dinnertime for a 12-inch Veggie DeLite and another Diet Coke.  This kept him at about 1000 calories a day, with under 10 grams of fat.

Once he got under 300 pounds, he started walking to classes instead of riding the bus.  At 250, he stopped taking the bus altogether and walked everywhere--about 1.5 miles a day.

He followed this exact routine for just under a full year, ending in March 1999.

He now weighs 190 pounds.

After he stopped the Subway Diet, he slowly started eating other foods. He still mostly eats foods with low fat. Eats a lot.  He's increased his caloric intake to about 2400 a day, but still looks for low fat solutions.  He drinks only diet drinks, little liquor or beer and walks whenever he can.

Once Subway discovered Jared Fogle's story, they decided to make a gigantic ad campaign about it.  His story has been picked up by many major newspapers, and each Subway restaurant has reprints of the USA Today article on their counter.  They also encourage others who have been inspired by Jared to come forward and share their experiences.  Since they started the campaign, they've has received hundreds of letters from customers who have lost weight by following Jared's example and eating Subway "7 Under 6" sandwiches every day.

In this way, Subway is probably the first fast food restaurant in recent history to openly advertise their food's nutritional information instead of hiding it as much as possible.  When was the last time you saw McDonald's flaunt how many calories there are in a Big Mac in a commercial or other advertisement?  Do you think they would make the information available at all if it wasn't a FDA requirement?
 

Subway strongly cautions all customers to consult their doctor before radically changing their diet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.