Due to its comedic value, the Jedi Mind Trick actually works on some Star Wars geeks, when their opinion of something is not strongly held. A preference for one option can be nudged to acceptance of another, only slightly less desirable option. However, this technique only works when it is amusing, (i.e. a handful of times) so use sparingly.

A conversation very similar to this one occurred in a chat room a couple of years ago.

kdribbs says: yeah whatever
fjf says: lol
kara giggles.
vasu has logged on.
fjf says: yo vasu.
kdribbs says: yo
vasu says: sup
vasu says: what are you doing here kdribbs
kdribbs says: just chatting
vasu says: shouldn't you be working on your cs235 final
kdribbs says: yeah.. not really in the mood right now
kara says: isn't that due soon
kdribbs says: yah
vasu says: you should get back to work on your cs235 final
vasu waves his hands like a jedi.
kdribbs blinkblinks.
kdribbs says: i think maybe i should get back to work on my cs235 final
kara says: whoa
vasu says: you won't come back until you're done
kdribbs probably won't be back until he's done.
vasu says: you better logout now
kdribbs says: i better go now
vasu says: see you later
fjf says: wtg vasu
kdribbs says: see you later!
kdribbs has logged out
Try it on your friends, e.g. when trying to decide where to go eat, or what movie to see, or whatever.
You want to give this writeup an upvote.
Move along.

Believe it or not there is a real life version of this. Probably would be classified as a 'Dark Side' use of The Force.

I learned this while waiting tables. For those who don't know one of the jobs of the waiters at most restaurants is to upsell. The waiter can be motivated to do this for many reasons but the most basic reason is that most people tip based upon a percentage of the total check. Therefore bigger checks lead to bigger tips. Of course the restaurant management is generally pleased by large checks too.

So, during my time as a waiter it so happened that management devised a plan to sell more margaritas. It was a simple plan: have a month long contest between the waitstaff to see who could sell the most Margaritas. Prizes, cash and others would be given at the end of the month.

While rolling out this contest to the waitstaff management had one of the older staff pass on some secrets to us kids. The only one I remembered was "The Jedi Mind Trick".

Okay big buildup for this sadly simple payoff:
The 'trick' was to simply arch your eyebrows while nodding slightly and suggesting a course of action. For me the novice tequila slinger, I would simply ask "Would you like one of our Top Drawer Margaritas?" while performing aforementioned physical cues.

What was amazing was how well this worked. I sold something like 85 margaritas that month. Second only to my instructor the Dark Jedi Master (yah yah so that should be Sith Lord or something, oh well).

This probably only worked so well since people generally go into a restaurant expecting their waiter to help them by suggesting particularly good food or drink. Perhaps you'll notice this 'help' from you waiter at a future eatery visit.

Regardless of what you see or suspect, if the service is good tip at least 15% of the check. I can assure you've they've earned it and it's just good Karma.

Do I still use this trick? Only subconsciously.

In the Star Wars universe, the Jedi "mind trick" is a wide class of abilities split more or less into two categories of affect mind and alter mind. These mind tricks allow Force-sensitives to temporarily or permanently confuse or cloud the minds of others for a certain purpose.

The most well-known examples of the Mind Trick in the Star Wars movies were Obi-wan Kenobi affecting the stormtrooper to pass through their checkpoint--"These aren't the droids you're looking for!" and Jabba's booming "That old Jedi mind trick won't work on me, boy!"

Like most Jedi abilities, it is to some degree genetic as to how skilled one is at mind skills. The Halcyon line, for example, possessed great aptitude for affect mind. Luke Skywalker himself was never particularly good at it, at least in comparison to his other abilities.

It takes great force of will to use this skill. Generally it only works on targets who are weaker-minded than the wielder and those without a particularly strong sense of self and will. Those with very scientific, quick minds often will see through the trick quickly. Those slower on the uptake, those distracted by something, and those with unclear beliefs and thoughts almost always fall for them. However, there are exceptions to the rule because some species, such as the Hutts, are genetically immune to these affects, no matter how smart or stupid the individual.

The affect mind skills are the more common and more acceptable of the two types. These allow the user to temporarily muddle the perceptions or senses of another. All senses can be affected. A flower may suddenly smell like garbage. The person may hear something that was not there (as Obi-wan did on the first Death Star). They may see something that never happened, either out of the corner of the eye or, with greater effort, actual objects that are not there. It's always useful, though, to give non-Jedi friends a hand--you can show them what a different hair color would look like on them without ever touching a bottle of dye. Short-term memory can also be affected, certain centers of the brain repressed. People can be made to forget seeing you, or misremember a command, or mishear a conversation for just long enough for it to pass out of their short-term and be ignored by their long-term memory.

Alter mind skills are more serious and often considered much more Dark-side skills than their 'lighter' siblings. These permanently affect longterm memory and can essentially trigger Force-based brain damage. One of the more dramatic instances of this was when Kyp Durron, under the influence of Exar Kun, erased large chunks of the memory of the scientist Qwi Xux.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.