A memorial to Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States. Located in Washington, D.C. The memorial is made of white marble. A spherical dome is held up by columns. Inside the dome is a 19 foot high statue of Jefferson, and inscribed on the interior walls are many of his various quotes.

Jefferson's statue is looking out towards the Washington Monument. Directly in front of the memorial is the Tidal Basin, an inlet of the Potomac River. During the summer, you can rent paddle boats and paddle around on it. Lining the tidal basin are Japanese cherry trees, a gift from Japan in 1912.

The Jefferson does not have as much tourist traffic as the Washington Monument or Lincoln Memorial. It is more out of the way, and less of a famous structure. Early in the morning, it can be a fairly peaceful place to sit; just you, the cherry trees, the tidal basin, and a bit of traffic from the road behind you. It does get swamped every year during the spring, when the cherry trees bloom and everyone comes to look at them.

Some info from the National Parks Service: http://www.nps.gov/thje

The Thomas Jefferson Memorial is located at the south of the Tidal basin, in West Potomac Park. It's open April - September at 8:00 AM - 11:45 PM, and October - March at 9:00 AM - 4:45 PM.

To add on to quasi's great writeup on the memorial, the memorial itself was designed by Architect John Russell Pope to reflect Jefferson's architectural tastes - it is modeled after the Pantheon of Rome, a neoclassical architecture, and the architecture of his home, Monticello. Originally at the building of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, the building site was criticized because it resulted in removing Japanese cherry trees from the Tidal Basin, and the architecture was criticized because it'd clash with the design of the Lincoln Memorial. However, Franklin D. Roosevelt urged that the construction would proceed, and he laid the cornerstone of the Memorial.

Inside is a sculpture of Thomas Jefferson by Rudolph Evans, which looks out from inside the memorial to the White House, which is straight to the North. (quasi was right when he said it faces the Washington Monument, however it's meant to and does face the White House). It stands 19 feet tall, and weighs 5 tons. On the triangular pediment is a sculpture by Adolph A. Weinman of the five members of the drafting committee for the Declaration of Independence.

On the interior of the structure of the Memorial, there are also five quotations of Jefferson's writings about his principles.

"We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men. We... solemn publish and declare, that these colonies are and of a right ought to be to be free and independent states… And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

- from Declaration of Independence

""Almighty God hath created the mind free. All attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens...are a departure from the plan of the Holy Author of our religion...No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship or ministry or shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion. I know but one code of morality for men whether acting singly or collectively."

- from "A Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom"

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God ?…"

- from a letter to George Washington in 1786

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitution, but laws and institutions go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind…We might as well require a man to wear the same coat that fitted him when he was a boy.."

- from a letter to Samuel Kerchevel.

After World War II restrictions on the use of metals were lifted, the plaster statue of Thomas Jefferson was replaced with a bronze metal statue.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.