The notion, unwittingly pioneered by the creators of the 70's cartoon, The Jetsons. This logic mandates the simplification of any gadget, device, or appliance down to a single function accessible by the push of a button in order to ensure the successful introduction and assimilation of the product in mass quantities.

This idea or methodology is widely used by inventors and manufacturers of techno gadgets, devices and appliances. They base new product R&D on the fact that 90% of the consumers are JPL.

Example Number One - The VCR. Years after its introduction, there are still people out there who do not know how to set the clock on their VCR so they leave it blinking 12:00. What did Sony do? They built a VCR that will set the clock by itself with the push of a button, some as soon as you apply power to the unit.

Example Number Two - any Internet appliance. I understand the need for cheap computers and internet service, there are a lot of people out there who can't afford even the sub-$500 PCs. I don't understand the need to create 'easy-to-use' internet appliances. How much easier can you make reading/composing email or browsing the web!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.