A former football player turned professional wrestler, sometimes known as "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. Apart from the name, he is perhaps best remembered for his case of strabismus.

Duggan rose to noteriety in the World Wrestling Federation, playing a very patriotic pro-USA character during the Cold War-induced distrust of foreigners period in the 1980s. Coming to ring with the American flag and his trusty 2x4, he'd come down to the ring chanting, "USA! USA!" and beat up evil foreigners like the Iron Sheik (Iran) and Nikolai Volkoff (USSR).

A very one dimensional character, Duggan never really developed any personality other than being the quirky patriotic guy with the flag and the 2x4, and so he never made it to the top of the card. Most often, he was fed to top heels--both to legitimize the heel and to get the crowd all pissed off that the evil foreigner was beating up on Mr. Patriotic. Then, they'd bring in Hulk Hogan to destroy the evil foreigner, and everyone was very happy indeed.

On May 26, 1987, Duggan and "hated rival" Iron Sheik were driving home together after a house show when they were pulled over by the police due to Duggan's erratic driving. The police officer discovered Duggan was driving while under the influence of alcohol and marijuana, and found the Sheik to be in possession of various drugs, including cocaine and marijuana. Duggan was released and the Sheik was given a year's probation.

The character got really stale in the 1990s, as being at peace with everyone and the emergence of a global economy kind of cuts down on the number of evil foreigners that can come off convincingly.

Duggan followed his good friend Hulk Hogan from the WWF to WCW in the mid-1990s, where he continued to play the same kind of character with even less success than before.

Duggan left the active roster in 1998 when he was diagnosed with cancer of the liver--reportedly in the form of a tumor the size of a football. Amazingly enough, he made a full recovery and returned to WCW in late 1999.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.