Joe Moakley (1927-2001) was an old school Boston Irish Catholic politician who served 15 terms in the US House of Representatives and was the ranking Democrat on the House Rules Committee . He had served in the Massachusetts legislature before narrowly winning his House seat in 1972. One of the most prominent things he's been involved in over the years has been heading up a task force, which became known as the "Moakley Commission", to investigate human rights abuses in El Salvador in the wake of the 1989 murder of six Jesuit priests. The commission's findings resulted in the termination of US military aid to that country.

He nearly retired in 1995, but his wife, Richard Gephardt, and Bill Clinton convinced him not to. This was probably prompted by health problems: he's had a liver transplant, a hip replacement, and most of his kidneys removed. In February 2001, he learned that he had an incurable form of leukemia. He planned on finishing out the length of his term and had decided not to seek a 16th term in 2002. However, he died of the disease on Memorial Day, May 28, 2001.

from C-Span.org:

Contact Information
E-mail: jmoakley@mail.house.gov
Web: www.house.gov/moakley/
Phone: (202) 225-8273
Fax: (202) 225-3984
Address:
235 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
District Office: Boston
District Phone: (617) 428-2000

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.