John McCain - Republican U.S. Senator from Arizona

John Sidney McCain was born in a Naval hospital on August 29, 1936 in the Panama Canal Zone. Following in his father’s and grandfather’s tradition of honor, McCain went to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis at age 17. McCain graduated in 1958, and soon started training to become a Naval aircraft carrier pilot. To keep with the family wartime tradition, McCain requested to go to Vietnam.

The Forrestal Disaster


McCain became Lieutenant Commander aboard the USS Forrestal, which was stationed off the coast of Vietnam. On July 29, 1967, as McCain was preparing to take off, a missile in a plane along side his accidentally fired. The fuel tanks on McCain’s plane were hit. McCain managed to climb on to the nose of his plane and drop to the deck. McCain was blasted several feet when eventually more bombs exploded. There is a video of the event, and it is truly amazing to see a future Senator climb from a burning plane. After a full day of fighting the fire, 134 were dead, it was recorded as the worst non-combat-related accident in American Naval history.

Although McCain was offered a trip home after the disaster, he wanted to stay. He transferred to the USS Oriskany.

The Hanoi Hilton


Three months after the Forrestal disaster, McCain went on his 23rd bombing mission into North Vietnam. His target was a power plant deep into Hanoi. McCain’s right wing was ripped off by a surface-to-air, and McCain ejected. He was badly injured, both arms were broken, as well as one leg. McCain landed in a lake and angry mob dragged him out. The mob beat him, breaking his shoulder and stabbing him with bayonets.

McCain was delivered to the “Hanoi Hilton” (a Vietnamese POW camp) and was denied medical treatment. Although his condition was deteriorating, his fellow POW’s managed to slowly improve his health with care.

A few months after McCain was captured, his father, Admiral Jack McCain, was appointed commander of all U.S. forces located in the Pacific. In an effort to look compassionate, the North Vietnamese offered McCain an early release. In a most chivalrous manner, McCain refused, citing a code of conduct that POW’s should be set free in the order that they are captured. McCain was so set in his decision that he denied the offer even while being beaten.

John McCain spent five years as a prisoner of war, two of which he spent in solitary confinement.

The End of the War


McCain was released with over 600 other POW’s in 1973. McCain went through long and intense physical rehabilitation to regain his flight status. McCain became a Captain and appointed to be the Navy’s liaison the U.S. Senate. He then met his wife, Cindy Hensley, they were married and moved to Arizona.

Politics


Always willing to serve his country, McCain became a candidate for the Arizona House position in 1982. McCain worked harder than his opponents and campaigned nonstop. McCain won the election and made it a practice to return home to Arizona every weekend. McCain’s devotion to his state won his reelection.

In 1986, Barry Goldwater retired from the U.S. Senate, and McCain was elected as his successor. McCain was in line with Goldwater’s tradition of independence and plain-talk conservatism. McCain was reelected in 1998 with 70% of the vote, garnering even 40% of Democrats.

Policies


McCain retains typical conservative polices, fighting for smaller national government and lower taxes. Pro-small business and opportunity. Unlike some, McCain acts on his polices, which earned him the nickname “The Sheriff.” McCain wishes to get rid of both the death and marriage taxes. He also prides himself on protecting children, whether it be from internet porn, or giving them the education they deserve.

McCain believes most strongly that nothing can take place before campaign and finance reform.

Despite his amazing repertoire, some do criticize McCain for his “moderate Republican” views, which leave him with two wings at his throat.



Election Results

    1998 General
  • John McCain(R) 696,577 68.7%
  • Ed Ranger (D) 275,224 27.2%
  • John C. Zajac (LIBERT) 23,004 2.3%
  • Robert "Bob" Park (REF) 18,288 1.8%


    1998 Primary
  • John McCain (R) unopposed
    • Previous Winning Percentages
    • 1992 Senate Election 56%
    • 1986 Senate Election 61%
    • 1984 House Election 78%
    • 1982 House Election 66%


Works Cited:

Encyclopedia Britannica Online. (www.eb.com)
Senator John McCain. (http://mccain.senate.gov/biography.htm)
Senator John McCain. (http://www.senate.gov/~mccain/bio.htm)
Straight Talk America. (www.straighttalkamerica.com)

Republican US senator from Arizona; good people. His POW horror-stories from Vietnam prove neither side was Good. A rare quixotic man in Washington, DC: he (with Russ Feingold) has been trying to get real campaign finance law reform, honest penance for having been mired in Keating Five scandalia. A former boxer, he is also trying to reform the boxing industry. Good luck. Now jumps through hoops in The Money Primary. Good luck. Shunning the Iowa Straw Poll showed class.

The one candidate in the [2000 -ed.] US presidential election that would have actually changed things for the better. Unfortunately, he's not running anymore. I'll vote for him anyway.

He also was the only major candidate not afraid to express what he really thinks. George W. Bush seems to change his political affiliations weekly. I can't say I know his stances. Al Gore used to be a pro-life tobacco farmer before he realized he would never get Democratic votes that way. Both of them are really sad. They just pander to the masses instead of standing up for true beliefs.

That being said, at least Bill Clinton will be gone. Unfortunately, neither of these two clowns are the kind of man that will be able to bring back any sense of honor to the White House.

Thank you for trying, John McCain. Unfortunately no one feels ready for real change.


Update: Since ending his campaign, McCain has gone certifiably insane in an attempt to hold on to the attention of the media. I can't say I like that part of the man. His Cromwellian campaign against corruption is beginning to eat itself. Well, it was fun while it lasted. I wound up voting for Bush, once McCain threw his support behind him.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.