Earl of Nottingham (1377-1383)
5th Baron Mowbray and Baron Segrave (1368-1383)
Born c.1363 Died 1383

Born in about the year 1363 he was the eldest son of John de Mowbray, 4th Baron Mowbray and Elizabeth Segrave. This John was twice descended from royalty; his grandmother on his father's side being Joan, daughter of Henry of Lancaster whilst on his mother's side his grandmother was Margaret daughter of Thomas of Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk.

His father having died on crusade in 1368 when he was about five years old and being of royal blood, John was brought up at court and as a result became one of the childhood friends of Richard of Bordeaux. (The son of Edward, the Black Prince and heir apparent to the throne following his father's premature death in 1376.) When Richard's grandfather Edward III subsequently died in 1377, this Richard of Bordeaux duly became Richard II and on the day of his coronation as king the young Richard conferred the title of Earl of Nottingham on his fourteen year old companion. John was however destined not to reach his majority and died unmarried of unspecified but natural causes on the 10th February 1383.

With John's death his title of Nottingham became extinct whilst the baronies of Mowbray (inherited from his father) and that of Segrave (received from his mother) passed together with his lands, into the hands of his younger brother Thomas.


SOURCES

  • Mowbray family history at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mowbrayfh/ Itsself sourced from;
    The Mowbray Journal, eds. William Mowbray and Stephen Goslin, 1976-79.
    Burke's Extinct Peerages, pp 386 - 388.
  • The 1911 Encyclopedia Brittanica entry for MOWBRAY
    See http://1911encyclopedia.org/index.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.