Known sequences of moves near the corner which result in near-equal positions for white and black
Japanese Go terms


                      %%,,
                     "%%%%%
       %              %%%%
      %%              %%%%                 ,%%,
    ,%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
   ,%%%%                                   %%%%
  %%%%%"                                 ,%%%"
  "%%%"                                 %%%""
 
    "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%
          "%,,        %%%%
           %%%%%      %%%%
           %%%%       %%%%           ,%%,
           %%%%       %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
           %%%%       %%%%
          ,%%%        %%%%
          %%%%%%,,    %%%%
         ,%%"  "%%%,  %%%%
        %%%"     "%%%,%%%%
      ,%%%"        "%%%%%%%,,
    ,%%%"             ""%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%""                    ""%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%"


"%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                   %%%%%%
                  ,%%%%%
                  %%%%%
                 %%%%%"
                %%%%%"
               ,%%%%"
              ,%%%%"
             ,%%%%"                   ,%%,
            %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          ,%%%%%%%                    %%%%
        ,%%%%"%%%%                    %%%%
      ,%%%%"  %%%%                    %%%%
    ,%%%""    %%%%                    %%%%
,,%%""        %%%%                    %%%%
              %%%%                    %%%%
              %%%%                    %%%%
              %%%%                    %%%%
              %%%%                    %%%%
              %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
              %%%%                    %%%%
              "%%"                    "%%"


the kanji means "set/fixed" "stone"
Joseki is a Japanese word that refers to certain sequences of moves by both players in the opening of a game of Go (Wei Qi/Badouk). This is sort of similar to the idea of a standard opening in a game of chess, but must not be confused with another concept in Go, called fuseki.

While a fuseki describes the placement of the first few stones across the whole board, joseki are sequences of moves in one area (usually a corner) of the board. They are categorized by the position of (usually) the first two stones in the sequence, and branch out in a tree-like fashion, so that at several stages of the joseki, one player or the other will have a choice of which branch to follow.

Deviating from joseki is generally thought to be bad for the local position of whoever is doing the deviating, and is often just a mistake, due to the player not having memorized that particular joseki (and all branches thereof). However, depending on the whole board situation, it might sometimes be adviseable.

There is a Go proverb that "Studying joseki loses two stones strength." This is because after a novice has memorized a particular joseki, they may tend to blindly play the joseki through to the end, ignoring branches that they haven't studied, and not giving any thought to the whole-board situation. Therefore, the "best" play locally may actually give them an inferior result globally, compared to more thoughtful, non-joseki moves played by someone who hasn't memorized any joseki.

The most infamous joseki is known as the Taisha Joseki, aka The Joseki of a Thousand Variations, for obvious reasons. It is so complicated that even pros sometimes make mistakes when an opponent leads them into one of its more obscure branches.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.