Jot is also the name of the primary text recognition engine of Windows CE devices. It is a competitor to Palm Pilot's Graffiti, and has several differences between them. Mainly, however, the two letter sets are very semantically similar. Jot seems to strive for accuracy to English character sets, while graffiti has a more arcane symbol set. A good example of the difference in the two algorithms is the letter "k". In Jot, it is performed as an English letter K, however in Graffiti, it is performed as a sideways loop. They are both very good input systems, and have the advantage of a low learning curve.

Both pale in comparison to harder to learn, but more efficient speed writing systems, that only take two lines to complete each character. These are commercially available add-ons, that have been patented to preserve the idea.

Jot (?), n. [L. iota, Gr. the name of the letter (E. i. Heb. yd), the smallest letter of the Greek alphabet. Cf. Iota.]

An iota; a point; a tittle; the smallest particle. Cf. Bit, n.

Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Matt. v. 18.

Neither will they bate One jot of ceremony. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jot, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Jotted; p. pr. & vb. n. Jotting.]

To set down; to make a brief note of; -- usually followed by down.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.