Legendary American comic book editor (1915-2004). Known to almost everyone as "Julie."

Julie started his career in 1930 as the co-editor and co-publisher (along with another future DC editor, Mort Weisinger) of the first-ever science fiction fanzine, a magazine called "The Time Traveler." He later worked as a literary agent for science fiction and fantasy pulp writers, including Ray Bradbury, Alfred Bester, and H.P. Lovecraft.

Julie's first experience with comic books came in 1944; he was on his way to a job interview at All American Comics and stopped to buy a few comics so he'd have a clue what the job was actually about. He was hired to create plots and review scripts at All American and later at DC Comics, when the two companies merged. In fact, Julie nearly never even saw the artwork before the comic was actually printed. By the late-1940s, he was the official editor of comics like Green Lantern and the Justice Society of America, and by the '50s, he was also editing books like "Rex the Wonder Dog," "All Star Western," "Strange Adventures," and "Mystery in Space."

After an anti-comics backlash, Julie was assigned to edit a revamped version of a WWII-era superspeedster called the Flash - -the result kickstarted comics' Silver Age and was quickly imitated by everyone in the comics industry. In the 1960s, when sales of the Batman comics slipped, DC had Julie take over editing duties to re-energize the character. In 1970, Julie was named Superman's editor, and in 1973, when DC bought the license for Captain Marvel, Julie became the editor for that book, too. Also in the 1970s, he was named DC's senior editor. He began easing his way into retirement during the 1980s, though he also found time to edit some graphic novels based on stories by authors like Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, Robert Bloch, and Larry Niven. For his 70th birthday, DC surprised Julie by transforming one issue of "Superman" into "A Tribute to Julius Schwartz," with Julie co-starring with the Man of Steel.

In his retirement, Julie enjoyed attending comic book conventions; he often hosted one-man panel discussions called "Strange Schwartz Stories," where he told funny anecdotes about the creators and personalities of the Golden and Silver Ages.

Julie died on the morning of February 9, 2004. He was mourned and celebrated by many professionals who wrote science fiction or worked in the comic book industry. Many who worked with him loved him, and he was hailed as one of the finest editors a writer could have -- supportive and helpful of new writers, a guiding influence for more experienced scribes, and always dedicated, first and foremost, to the story first, the story last, the story above all else. However, it was also revealed that he had a bad habit of groping and attempting to sexually assault young women he was working with, including creators like Colleen Doran, Jo Duffy, and Jill Thompson. 

Research: http://www.toonopedia.com/schwartz.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.