A women's organization dedicated to volunteerism. The New York Junior League is the founding chapter (1901), and at present there are 295 chapters operating throughout North America and England. It was started in 1901 by a 19-year old college student, and an early member included Eleanor Roosevelt.

The NYJL focues on four areas of community involvement, Domestic Violence, Healthy Foundations, Family Life Skills, and Cultural Enrichment of Youth. Women interested in joining must be between the ages of 16-44 (Hence 'junior'), and commit at least 2.5 hours a week.

Headquarters is located on 130 East 80th street in a 5-story townhouse formerly used as the home of Vincent Astor, and is designated a historical landmark.

The NYJL's 2500 volunteers contribute more than 100,000 hours of community service per year. They are known for elaborate fundraising events, such as the annual Winter Ball.

My project last fall was involved with an elementary school in the Bronx. We taught English to new immigrants so that they would be equipped to get jobs, and we're involved in reaching out to women who are trying to get off welfare with job training.

The NYJL recently built a clinic in East Harlem, one of the most needy (medically) communities in the US, with the highest rates of childhood asthma and lowest doctor-patient ratio. We volunteer at foster homes, hospitals, mental wards, and womens prisons, with a focus on education and prevention.

To softlinkers: I don't want to hear that 'Priss E Bitch' shit--not here, not now. Get involved, and then we'll talk. Contribute to your community, donate your time and money and THEN we'll fucking talk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.