WARNING! SPOILERS AHOY! MAN THE BILGE PUMP!


Title: To Know a Veil
Release Date: October 1996
Writers: Mark Waid and Fabian Nicieza
Pencillers: Jeff Johnson and Darick Robertson
Inkers: John Holdredge and Hanibal Rodriguez
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.
Bad Guys: Dr. Destiny and various sparkers.
Cameos: Timothy "Robin" Drake, Billy "Captain Marvel" Batson, Jack "Starman" Knight, and Guy Gardner.

So what happens?
Superman and Batman track down the addresses for a batch of superheroes and head out to try to get them to return to their senses, while, independently, Wally West tracks down Kyle Rayner after Kyle's name in a comic book seems familiar. Batman gets Aquaman to remember his true identity by holding his head down in his aquarium until he breathes water, Flash and Green Lantern accidentally rediscover their powers together, and Superman gets Wonder Woman to remember her powers, basically by being a pretty, pretty man.

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman get together in New York City and deduce that an old Justice League villain called Dr. Destiny is behind the whole thing. While trying to put down a superpowered gang war, they are joined by Green Lantern and the Flash. The Justice Leaguers finally track the Martian Manhunter to a hangar in Roswell, New Mexico, that has been disguised to look like a Martian landscape. J'onn plans to stay in the hangar and enjoy the illusion of his family returned to life, but an attack engineered by Dr. Destiny destroys the hangar--J'onn, in a rage, decides to join the League again.

Cool Moments!
Bruce Wayne holding Arthur Curry's head underwater.

Cool Quotes!
Aquaman, greeting Superman and Wonder Woman, after spending time with Batman: "I was hoping you two would make it. I've been in pretty grim company so far. And coming from me, that says plenty."

Green Lantern: "Wicked. The Magnificent Seven ride again!"
Flash: "Use both hands, genius--there's only six of us."
GL: "Bet you learned math from Flash cards."
Flash: "Har-dee-har. Well, I get dibs on Coburn."
GL: "I'll be the guy on Death Wish."
And later--Flash: "Take it J'onn'll want to be Yul Brynner."

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.