K.D.St.V. Asgard, a student fraternity in Cologne

The K.D.St.V. Asgard was founded in 1914 at the Academy for Local Government in Düsseldorf as "Arminia" by 14 resident students, trying to legitimise their need for parties and hanging out together. After their alma mater closed its doors, the whole fraternity moved to Cologne in 1923. There they had to change their name to Asgard (needing another cool name beginning with A, so they wouldn't have to learn another secret doodle behind their names representing an A for Asgard/Arminia), as the name Arminia was unfortunately taken by another fraternity at the University of Cologne, and as the vicechancellor was one the members, they had to quickly find another name for themselves.

During the Nazi regime they disbanded the fraternity to protest against the policies of the dictatorship and to resist forced stewardship by the nazi's student leader. Ironically, they survived by meeting once a week under the different identity of a carnival club. After the war, all members who were party-members were purged.

Since 1958 they have been residing in a stately villa in Lindenthal, surrounded by a huge park-like garden. The location is especially preferential for the brothers who are medical students, as the institute for anatomy is just 3 minutes away.

K.D.St.V. is the german abbreviation for "Katholische Deutsche Studentenverbindung" (catholic german student fraternity), making them a member of Europe's largest community of academics, the Cartell Verband (literally Cartell-Community), current membership ca 30.000. Catholicism is interpreted rather liberally, and the emphasis is more on core values and academic excellence than praying and celibacy (phew).

Asgard is aptly named after the nordic equivalent of paradise, and the interior of their villa certainly emphasizes this. Current membership is at around 400, with ca 40 active, student members and 360 old boys who contribute financially to keep the fraternity alive and allow the young members to party as hard as they used to do (Animal House comes pretty close).

Membership is by invitation only, and your membership will be evaluated after one year, when the permanent members of the fraternity will decide wether you will be asked to stay or not.

Once a lifelong member, you are supposed to see this as a lifelong commitment to be a friend to your fellow brothers and help them when they're in need.

Their Motto: "Recte facienti nil timendum".

Those who do the right thing don't have to fear.


http://www.asgarden.de

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.