KMHD is a public radio station associated with Mount Hood Community College, that is one of Portland, Oregon's three public radio stations. Its format is "jazz, blues and NPR News".

KMHD format is greatly responsible for my wider knowledge of jazz music and periods. To me, it seems like much of the jazz that is popular amongst the hep cats of the day is the very intellectual, involved jazz popularized by such greats as Miles Davis and John Coltrane. While such music is played on KMHD, the format also emphasizes the fun show tune and big band jazz of the 1940s, along with modern experiments in such fields as Latin Jazz, as well as blues and other such fields of "traditional American music".

Gresham, Oregon, the city in which the college lies, is also the home of the annual Mount Hood Festival of Jazz, which is probably the reason why the station chose this format when it went on the air twenty years ago. This is all despite the fact that most people would not think of Gresham, or anywhere in the eastern part of Multnomah County as being particularly jazzy or sophisticated.

KMHD can be found on the radio dial inside of the Portland area at 89.1 FM, and on the web at www.KMHD.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.