The Kambeba (also known as Omágua) are an indigenous group of people who live in Peru and Brazil (state of Amazonas). In Brazil they stopped identifying themselves as indigenous people because of the violence and discrimination they suffered since the 18th century. Only after the recognition of indigenous right, which happened in 1988, these people started reaffirming their own distinctive culture and fighting for problems related to the indigenous cause. They have assumed a strong position in the region due to their capacity in political negotiations and good relationships with other indigenous groups.

Location

In Peru the Omágua live near the capital, Lima. In 1994 there were about 3500 people, according to an estimate made by a brazilian Kambeba leader who paid a visit to them.

There were 347 Kambeba living in Brazil as of 2006. They live in five villages; four are located near the Solimões river (the western Amazon river) and one is located near the Rio Negro at the mouth of the Cuieiras river. Some families live in Manaus.

The region which was designated to be the Jaquiri Indigenous Territory was visited by Funai (the National Indian Foundation) in 1974. In 1991 the area was registered and a total of 1820 ha were assigned to it. The Indigenous Land is near Maraã, close to the towns of Alvarães and Tefé.

Language

In Peru the Kambeba speak their own native language in addition to spanish. In Brazil they are much less proficient in their own language but they still know a sizeable portion of their vocabulary. The language is identified as "Cambeba", and is mostly used by older people and leaders for formal moments of meetings with whites or in some school classes (Bonin & Kambeba 1999).

School

Schooling became part of the Kambeba world in the 1980s, when indigenous teachers and health workers started working in villages and new leaders were instructed for the emerging indigenous movement. Many young people go to nearby towns after completing the 4th grade in their village schools. In 2005, a Kambeba man from the Jaquiri reservation began an undergraduate course in Social Sciences at the Federal University of Amazonas.

External links

*Kambeba on socioambiental.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.