Kamchatka, a peninsula comparable in size to Japan, is washed by the Pacific Ocean and the Bering and Okhotskoe Seas. Russia's large volcanic belt, made up of 28 active craters, stretches along its shore. Though the flora and fauna, as is characteristic of northern regions, is not marked by diversity, more than half of the world's Steller's Sea Eagles, as well as the largest population of brown bears, are found here. On Kamchatka you also find the last stretches of Siberian taiga.

The waters around Kamchatka are inhabitated by the rare gray whale and approximately 300,000 seals, sea lions, otters and other sea creatures. In the center of Kamchatka is found Eurasia's only Geyser Valley. More than 150 thermal springs are scattered throughout the peninsula. Kamchatka is very sparsely populated, averaging less than 1 person per square kilometer. Most of the inhabitants live in the regional capital, Petropavlovsk, but a traditional way of life continues in the peninsula's many scattered villages.

One of the most coveted territories in the game of RISK. Kamchatcka is connected to Alaska via a dotted line that goes off the board to the east and picks up again on the west side. Kamchatka is also connected via dotted line to Japan. Land-wise, it borders Irkutsk and Yakutsk, and possibly Mongolia depending on the board configuration.

Ok, so it's probably not all that coveted, but the name is fun to say in battle and it's the only territory that can attack by surprise across an oft-forgotten, mysterious dotted line (well, except Alaska, I suppose).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.