The History of Kappa Sigma Fraternity

Kappa Sigma began as a secret society around 1400 in Bologna, Italy by Manuel Chrysaloras at the University of Bologna. The purpose of the organization was to provide protection to the members from attack, robbery, or other various crimes.

The history of Kappa Sigma Fraternity as we know it today began in December 10, 1869 in Charlottesville, Virgina at the University of Virginia. Five men gathered In William Grigsby McCormick's room and formed a friendship which grew into a brotherhood. The five then made a formal organization for which they could contain their feelings about each other. Thus the first chapter of Kappa Sigma was formed. A constitution was made and each of the men said an oath which said the principals and ideals of all Kappa Sigmas.

Kappa Sigma began to grow and become known on many campuses throught the United Statesand Canada by 1924. In 1966, International Memorial Headquarters was established in Charlottesville, VA. Currently Kappa Sigma is the sixth largest fraternity in the nation, with over 200 chapters and over 200,000 members in the U.S. and Canada. Kappa Sigma practices a no hazing policy.


Notable Alumni


http://www.kappasigma.com
http://www.kappasigma.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.