Jazz Tenor Sax Player. Also plays flute, soprano, and alto sax in recordings as well as live.

In 1989, Denson began working with Lenny Kravitz, with whom he recorded powerful sax work on Lenny’s ‘Let Love Rule’ and ‘Mama Said’ albums.

In 1992 his solo career began. He was signe by German jazz label Minor Music, Karl spent four years recording four acoustic jazz albums (listed below).

These recordings are an example of Karl’s prowess as a composer as well as jazz saxophonist. During this time he also became labelmate to former James Brown hornmen Fred Wesley, Pee Wee Ellis and Maceo Parker.

From 1992-1994, Karl recorded and toured with his own quintet, as well as Lenny Kravitz and Fred Wesley.

In 1994, Karl left the Lenny Kravitz band in order to devote full energy to his own music. The Greyboy Allstars were created and quickly became synonomous with the term groove or acid jazz. Inspired by a love of jazz music and dance music, the band became one of the largest drawing club acts in the country. They were my introduction to Denson.

In June 1998 Karl decided it was time to continue his vision in progress and thus the Tiny Universe was formed.

Album Credits:
Karl Denson (With and without the Tiny Universe):

Fred Wesley: Lenny Kravitz:
Brian Duncan:
O'Bryan:
The Greyboy Allstars:
Home Cookin' Compilations (Ubiquity Records)

DJ Greyboy:
Better Daze:
Robert Walter:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.