The Kativik Regional Government (KRG) is a non-ethnic public organization created in 1978, under the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement and the Act respecting Northern Villages and the Kativik Regional Government (Kativik Act). The organization has jurisdiction over Nunavik -- the entire territory of Québec north of the 55th parallel except the 316km² of Cree lands in and around Whapmagoustui.

The KRG has its head office in Kuujjuaq and offices in each of the region's 13 other northern villages. It employs over 300 workers and possesses 10 departments. It administers public affairs in the areas of municipal matters, transportation, the environment, policing, employment, labour training, income security, childcare services, renewable resources, land-use management, civil security and economic development.

Half of the budget of the KRG comes from the Government of Québec, one quarter comes from the Government of Canada, and one quarter comes from the local population.

The KRG is administered by its Council, which comprises 16 members elected for two-year terms, which is to say one regional councillor drawn from each of the 14 northern villages, the chief of the Naskapi village of Kawawachikamach, and a Chairperson. The KRG Council determines the organization's orientations, it makes decisions that are regional in scope, and it focuses on solutions that are common to every northern village in the region.

Outside the municipal boundaries of the 14 northern villages, the KRG acts as a municipality. In this manner, it has the duties and powers of a municipal corporation.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.