The Kaxarari are an indigenous tribe who live in Brazil, on the border between the states of Rondônia and Amazonas, near the the BR-364 federal highway. There were 322 Kaxarari people in the group in 2009, according to Funasa.

Problems

In 1910 they lived near the Curequeté river, and there were around 2000 people. The population was reduced to 200 people because of continuous attacks by Peruvian and Brazilian rubber collectors, which lasted until 1980. After that the population managed to recover slightly.

During the 20th they had to move through the region to search for better living conditions as their original lands were target of collectors of latex, brazilnuts, and precious stones.

Language

Kaxarari isn't the tribe's autonym, and its origin is unknown. The first references date from the start of the 20th century. In 1910, João Alberto Masô, an engineer with the Brazil/Bolivia/Peru Border Commission who, used the name Cacharary, which is phonetically similar. It is possible that the name originated from interethnic contact.

The Kaxarari speak a language from the Pano family which similar to that spoken by the Yaminawa, Kaxinawa, Yawanawa, Nukini, Katukina and Poyanawa who live in Acre.

Population

The Kaxarari live in four villages: Marmelinho, Barrinha, Paxiúba and Pedreira. They're located within the Kaxarari Indigenous Territory, on the border between Amazonas and Rondônia. The reservation is near the city of Porto Velho, capital of Rondonia.

According to the report by Terri Vale de Aquino, in 1910 João Alberto Masô located the Kaxarari near the Curequeté creek, an affluent of the Ituxy river.

The older people in the tribe state that their houses were originally also near other rivers and creeks in the region as well.

External links

Kaxarari at socioambiental.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.