Kay Redfield Jamison is Professor of Psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.  She is co-author of the standard medical text on manic-depressive illness, which was chosen in 1990 as the most outstanding book in biomedical sciences by the American Association of Publishers, and author of Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament

Dr. Jamison has written over 100 scientific publications about mood disorders, suicide, psychotherapy and lithium and has produced three public television specials on the subjects... one on manic-depressive composers, one on Van Gogh, and one on Lord Byron.  An Unquiet Mind, which chronicles her own experience with manic-depressive illness, received several awards as one of the best books of 1995 and is currently under development as a feature film (Universal Studios). 

 An Unquiet Mind was on the New York Times bestseller list for five months. She is also the author of  Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide. Dr. Jamison is the recipient of numerous national and international scientific awards, and in 1997 was appointed Honorary Professor of English at the University of St Andrews in Scotland. Dr. Jamison was a member of the first National Advisory Council for Human Genome Research, as well as the clinical director for the Dana Consortium on the Genetic Basis of Manic-Depressive Illness. She lives in Washington, D.C., with her husband, Dr. Richard Wyatt, a physician and scientist at the National Institute of Health.

Jamison is the recipient of the National Mental Health Association's William Styron Award (1995), the American Suicide Foundation Research Award (1996), the Community Mental Health Leadership Award (1999), and a 2001 MacArthur Fellowhip recipient.

Jamison is the daughter of an Air Force officer and was brought up in the Washington, D.C. area and in Los Angeles. She attended UCLA as an undergraduate and as a graduate student in psychology, and she joined the faculty there in 1974. She later founded the UCLA Affective Disorders Clinic, which became a large teaching and research facility.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.