Keith Chegwin (Cheggers_ is an entertainer allegedly. He first appeared in Childrens Films as a child actor. He sprang to fame on the Multi-coloured Swap Shop with Noel Edmunds where he married co-presenter Maggie Philbin. He then went on to do Cheggers plays Pop, a pop quiz on childrens TV. He then move to Sky TV to do a talent show. His career then nosedived and he turned to drink, becoming an alcoholic. He dried out in a very open an honest way giving great help to other alcholics. He then went on to do late night adult shows. Appearing naked in many of them. He is the first UK TV personality to go fully naked on TV.
<30/1/04 edited for typos and broken links - wp>

Cheggers has written a very fine autobiography, which in fact largely deals with his chronic alcoholism.

Sadly the name of it escapes me at the moment (and it's not on Amazon.Com), but I would recommend seeking it out - it gave me a great insight into the psychology of drinking and compulsive behaviour, but most of all it gave me a newfound and deep respect for a man I had previously written off as a harmless buffoon.

This guy really was a pisshead of staggering proportions, an addiction which very nearly killed him on several occasions. A fascinating and humbling read.


Update: Flameboy informs me that the title of his autobiography is Cheggers Can't Be Boozers. (not a bad pun, especially as nowadays Cheggers Drinks Pop Boom Boom!)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.