Member/frontman of the Alloy Orchestra; plays junk percussion and clarinet. Probably the member of the group with the most knowledge about silent films. With fellow Alloy Terry Donahue, a member of the Concussion Ensemble. Sat in with Birdsongs of the Mesozoic on their 20th anniversary album, Petrophonics. Played percussion on Bim Skala Bim's first album in 1985, and on Morphine's album Cure for Pain. Lived in Paris breifly in the late 1970s, has lived in Cambridge, MA since. According to my best information, he's married to filmmaker Jane Gillooly.

Among many, many other projects, he collaborated on music for several segments of the children's TV show Sesame Street, including:

"Move to the Beat" (girl dances with animated tiger) which appears on the Sesame Street videotape "Elmo-cise!", and

"Animals on Parade" which collaborator Ken Field describes this way:
"An elephant, a zebra, an ostrich, a hedgehog, a frog, and a ladybug walk across the screen, each adding the rhythm of its own walk to the soundtrack as it appears. At the end, each animal jumps on the elephant's back in turn, and the piece ends with just the elephant's rhythm left as it walks off with the others riding. Percussion by Ken Winokur and Ken Field. The sound of the zebra landing on the elephant's back was produced by Ken Winokur throwing himself onto the floor."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.