Made famous on May 4, 1970, when National Guard troops killed 4 students during Vietnam War protests. The university is in Kent, Ohio, which is about 10 miles northeast of Akron. Famous alumni include Devo, Michael Keaton, Arsenio Hall, The James Gang, most famous member being Joe Walsh and Cleveland's own Drew Carey.

Located in Kent, OH, Kent State University has been in existence since 1910. The university was originally known as Kent Normal School, but then became Kent State after the Ohio General Assembly passed a motion for the name change. The university has eight campuses spread throughout Northeastern Ohio.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees can be earned in the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, Fine and Professional Arts, and Undergraduate Studies. Degrees can also be earned through the Schools of Nursing and Technology.

Kent State also has a place in history because of student protests that led to the shootings of four students on May 4th, 1970.
Kent State is also known for its Liquid Crystal Institute, where many great discoveries have been made in the area of computer displays, as well as such fun things as windows that you can turn on and off. KSU also has a pretty decent basketball team, the Golden Flashes. In 2002, they made it to the Elite Eight in the NCAA playoffs.

The current student body is somewhere around 25,000, which is roughly equivalent to the population of the town of Kent. As you can imagine, Kent gets pretty empty when school's not in session. A large proportion (maybe one-third to one-half) of the students live in on-campus housing at the Kent campus.

KSU is working on renovating the campus for its centennial celebration (which will be in 2010). Two new dorms, Centennial Court A and B were finished just barely in time for the Fall 2002 semester, and four more (Centennial C-F) are currently under construction, slated for completion in time for the start of the 2003-2004 school year. In addition, several existing residence halls will be demolished over the upcoming summer of 2003, including Johnson Hall and Stopher Hall, which has been condemned for several years.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.