According to the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide (which he helped edit), the voice of MST3K's Tom Servo and Professor Bobo was born November 3, 1956 in River Forest, Illinois. The fifth of six children, Kevin Wagner Murphy studied stage/film/television directing at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.

After receiving his master's from UW-Madison, Murphy got a gig with the production staff at Madison PBS affiliate WHA. After a while he moved to California, then Chicago, then back to Minneapolis after teaming up with Jim Mallon (who would later go on to exec produce MST3K) to work on a horror film entitled "Blood Hook."

Most folks know the next part of the story. Murphy, along with fellow writers and producers Mike Nelson, Joel Hodgson, Josh Weinstein, Frank Conniff, Trace Beaulieu, Paul Chaplin, Jim Mallon, Mary Jo Pehl, and Bridget Jones, spent ten glorious years producing the Peabody-award winning comedy series "Mystery Science Theater 3000." The show ran for seven seasons on Comedy Central, then three more seasons on the Sci-Fi Channel. Murphy served as director for the show and supplied the voice and puppetry for robot Tom Servo (aka Htom Sirveaux). He also played Professor Bobo during the last three seasons.

Murphy currently resides in Bloomington, Minnesota, with his wife, Jane. In these post-MST3K years, he has shifted his focus toward writing; his first book, A Year at the Movies: One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey (ISBN: 0-06-093786-6), was published by HarperCollins in 2002.


Sources:
1. The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide. ISBN: 0-553-37783-3.
2. Murphy, Kevin. A Year at the Movies: One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey. ISBN: 0-06-093786-6.
3. imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.