Riotously funny Canadian sketch comedy troupe, the Kids in the Hall had a TV show for about five years or so, and have released a movie, Brain Candy. A lot of cross-dressing involved, many sketches also involving homosexuality, and general weirdness.

The Kids in the Hall Are:
Kevin McDonald
Dave Foley
Scott Thompson
Bruce McCulloch
Mark McKinney

Produced by Lorne Michaels, of SNL fame.

The Kids in the Hall first presented their final lineup (with Dave, Bruce, Mark, Kevin and Scott) in Toronto in 1985. Scott Thompson was the last to join, having seen and fallen in love with KITH in 1984. Lorne Michaels, fellow Canadian and the creator of Saturday Night Live, saw the Kids in Toronto and arranged an HBO special for them in 1987 which led to the creation of their now-famous television show in 1988.

The name "Kids in the Hall" is a reference to Jack Benny, who would say that his jokes came from the "kids in the hall", the prospective writers who would loiter outside of his office. It was just supposed to be a placeholder name for the group when they first started, but it stuck.

The Kids in the Hall sort-of disbanded in 1994 to pursue their individual projects (Dave Foley went to do Newsradio, Mark McKinney and Bruce McCulloch went to SNL, Scott Thompson did something on The Larry Sanders Show (but I'm not positive because I don't have cable) and I don't know what; he also started a website (http://www.scottland.com (which apparently no longer exists, but it did! Honest!)).) Kevin MacDonald guest starred on Newsradio as a knife thrower and did a National Lampoon movie whose name I forget. They released the movie, Brain Candy in 1995 and did a live tour in 2000.

I have a Kids in the Hall t-shirt in which all of the Kids are looking embarrassed in short skirts. Whenever I wear it, a third of the people I meet think I'm extremely hip, a third think I'm a dated-old fart trying to look cool and a third think I'm Satan's Child for publicly condoning transvestitism.

A really great website (including episode guides and transcripts):
    http://www.kithfan.org

Recently the kids have been very active. Bruce McCulloch has gone on to direct Superstar and Dog Park, while landing a role in Stealing Harvard. Scott Thompson has appeared in a few movies, including Mickey Blue Eyes. All of the kids have toured a few times, one resulting in Same Guys, New Dresses, a documentary of their life on the road, and another resulted in the dvd Tour of Duty, which is a concert movie of their show. the Same Guys, New Dresses dvd also includes commentary from such funnymen as Mike meyers, Andy Richter, and Trey Parker & Matt Stone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.