Kindred: The Embraced was an incredible television series created by Mark Rein-Hagen (Creator of Vampire:The Masquerade) and John Leekly, based off of White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade role-playing game series. Unfortunately, it was cut short when one of the starring actors, Mark Frankel, was killed in a motorcycle accident.

Only eight episodes were ever filmed, and only seven received airtime - the third episode, "Nightstalker", can only be found in the collector's box set (2 DVD's or 3 VHS tapes). The show began airing on April 2nd, 1996 and ended May 9th, 1996. Plans for a second season were in negotiations when Frankel was killed on August 24th, 1996.

Kathie Huddleston of Sci-Fi Weekly referred to the series as "The Godfather meets Melrose Place"

Many fans of the role-playing game simultaneously enjoyed the portrayals of the various clans while nit-picking when the show bent the "rules" for vampires - e.g. in one episode, a vampire is allowed to go about in the daylight, due to having fed recently.

On the whole, it was a great series, and Frankel's performance as Julian Luna was the basis for one of my Ventrue characters.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.