Vorlon ambassador to Babylon 5. Arrived in 2257; remained there until his death in 2260.

Kosh took a certain interest in Captain Sheridan, teaching him about the Shadows and his own race, and saving Sheridan's life in 2259 by leaving his encounter suit to rescue him.

For providing Vorlon assistance to battle Shadow vessels in 2260, Kosh was killed by Morden and his Shadow accomplices, though a "piece" of him remained with Sheridan until 2261.

The Babylon 5 Project

Kosh Naranek

Kosh was the symbol of light and order in the Babylon 5 Universe, who was ironically, packaged in a dark, cold, sterile appearance.

He spoke in riddles and mystery with words with severe degrees of depth and dimension.
One could understand some of what he meant, but never all.
And Kosh could speak volumes in a single word:

    Kosh: "They are alone. They are a dying people. We should let them pass."
    Commander Sinclair: Who, the Narn or the Centauri?
    Kosh: Yes.
Or:

    Sinclair visits Kosh and tells of an excellent replica of a Vorlon encounter suit, used to influence people.
      Kosh: "Why?"
      Sinclair: "No one knows exactly what you look like, a that makes some people a little nervous."
      Kosh: "Good."
It is known that Kosh was alive at the time Valen appeared in 1250, and possibly the dawn of the previous Shadow War. Kosh fought with Valen, and the Rangers Valen created to push back the Shadows.
    (cf. "War Without End, Part Two")
It is presumed that Valen instructed the young Kosh about what would happen in the future, and that Kosh knew that Valen was really Jeffrey Sinclair from a thousand years beyond.

Kosh and Ulkesh Naranek were associates. Kosh felt that Ulneck was too militant and harsh, while Ulkesh thought that Kosh was too curious and yielding. Both were correct in their own way.

After disappearing at the end of the Shadow War (with the rest of the Vorlon Empire.) They re-emerged to meet with the Minbari Federation leader, Dukhat, with a warning about the return of the Shadows to Z'Ha'Dum, and the need for an alliance with the humans. Unfortunately, Dukhat was killed, when the humans, in the EAS Prometheus attacked the Grey Council's Sharlin Class Warcruiser. And the Earth-Minbari War began.

It took some urging from Kosh and Ulkesh to convince Delenn to stop the war, but they were successful, as Valen had dictated 1000 years before, and the Minbari found their holy figure reincarnated in the human form of Jeffrey Sinclair.

    (cf. "In the Beginning").
Kosh left the Minbari, leaving Ulkesh to watch over them, because we know that Kosh was present, in orbit of Z'Ha'Dum when the EAS Icarus stumbled on the Shadows and caused them to awake.
    (cf. "The Shadow Within")
Immediately thereafter, Kosh arrived on Babylon 5 in 2257, the last of the major race ambassadors to be Represented, the Vorlon Empire. An attempt to assassinate him on arrival and pin the blame on Commander Jeffrey Sinclair by a member of the Minbari Warrior Caste failed.
    When meeting, the assassin, disguised to look like Sinclair, Kosh was in awe, and addressed Sinclair as "Entil'Zha Valen".
    (cf. "The Gathering")
As Sinclair and Kosh interacted, it was discovered that Kosh has a deep interest in the humans, and does not concern himself with the other races at all.
    (cf. "Midnight on the Firing Line"
    "The War Prayer")
In the episode "Deathwalker", Kosh prevented the younger races from gaining the power of immortality from the leader of the Dilgar.

When Sheridan was held captive by the Streib, Kosh implanted Sheridan's Dream. This dream provided Sheridan with insight for the future. Even past Kosh's own death and Jeffrey Sinclair's sphere of knowledge.

    (cf. "All Alone in the Night"
    "Z'Ha'Dum").
In the year 2259, Kosh left his encounter suit for the first time, to save the life of John Sheridan.
    (cf. "The Fall of Night")
Kosh later began "training" Captain John Sheridan to "Fight Legends" in 2259.
    (cf. "Hunter, Prey")
Sheridan later requested that the Vorlons get involved in the conflict with the Shadows. When the Vorlons attacked, Shadow agents then "killed" Kosh.
    (cf. "Interludes and Examinations")
Kosh was replaced by his former associate Vorlon, Ulkesh Naranek, who was referred to as "Kosh". "We are all Kosh".
    (cf. "Walkabout")
Part of Kosh remained alive, in Sheridan, until released to help destroy his replacement, Ulkesh. Ulkesh was impatient with the younger races, and treated them harshly, not allowing the humans to grow at all. Kosh intervened and killed Ulkesh to allow the human race to evolve outside of Vorlon influence.
    (cf. "Falling Toward Apotheosis")
Kosh first appeared in "The Gathering"
Kosh first revealed himself outside of his encounter suit, for the first time in "The Fall of Night"
Kosh dies in "Interludes and Examinations"
Kosh is replaced by "Darth Kosh" in "Walkabout"
It is revealed that a part of Kosh lives in John Sheridan in "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?"
Kosh kills Darth Kosh in "Falling Toward Apotheosis" Kosh "appears" again, back from the dead, with a message for Sheridan in "Day of the Dead"
    "When the long night comes, return to the end of the beginning."

Various stuff said by Kosh on Babylon 5. How many can *you* make sense of?


The avalanche has already started...it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Understanding is a three-edged sword.

The truth points to itself.

You do not understand.

In fire.

Kosh: They are a dying people. We should let them pass.
Sinclair: The Narn, or the Centauri?
Kosh: Yes.

If you go to Z'ha'dum, you will die.

You are not ready for immortality.

Reflection...surprise...terror. For the future.

A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles.

You seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song.


Return to the Babylon 5 Episode Guide.
My favorite:

One moment of perfect beauty.

The scene about which this quote is spoken is, probably, one of my two or three favorites in the entire series. I won't explain it, which will probably get me downvoted, but I urge you to find it.

context: Somewhere in Brown Sector aboard B5.

Sheridan: What's in there?
Kosh: One moment of perfect beauty.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.