A kroket is not a typically Dutch snack, and yet it is. "Croquettes" exist in many countries (Spain comes to mind) and are made with many fillings. The Dutch version is larger and usually contains meat. They come in many flavours and qualities, ranging from very nasty (containing less than 5% meat and who knows what else) to truly delicious.

A Dutch kroket consists of a thick ragout, shaped into a cylinder of about 10 cm in length and 4 cm thick, rolled in breadcrumbs and deep-fried.
They are usually made from beef or veal, but you can also find kroketten made from chicken or even venison, and derivatives like the goulash kroket or the sateh kroket, filled with peanut sauce (yuk!).

The kroket was introduced to the Netherlands around 1950 by a baker called Kwekkeboom, who had been inspired by the croquettes in France. Kwekkeboom kroketten are still available troughout the Netherlands and are considered to be very good. Kroketten can be found in every Dutch "snack bar" and in many restaurants: as part of lunch ("two kroketten with bread") or as part of a children's menu (kroket, french fries and applesauce. Happy memories). You can eat them on their own or in a bun, and they are best eaten with mustard. The latest development in kroket technology is the McKroket, a invention of McDonalds. A kroket in the shape of a burger. On one of them spongy McBuns. With special McMustardSauce... sacrilege.

If you want to try to make kroketten yourself, try the following recipe for four kroketten. You need:

  • 30 g flour
  • 30 g butter
  • 125 g cold, cooked meat, for example leftovers, cut into very small pieces
  • 200 ml stock or diluted gravy
  • salt, pepper, fresh persil, nutmeg
  • breadcrumbs
  • one egg, beaten with one tablespoon of water or milk

Melt the butter and mix in the flour to make a roux. Let the roux heat through without colouring it. Then add all the stock at once, bring to a boil and stir until smooth. It should be fairly thick. Add the meat and seasonings to taste. Then pour the mixture in a bowl and let it cool down until completely cold, preferably in a refrigerator.

When the ragout is cold, shape it into four cylinders, not too thick, and take care to close all cracks. Roll them through the beaten egg and then through the breadcrumbs, making sure to bread them on all sides. Repeat egging and breading. Then deep-fry the kroketten at 180 degrees C until they are nice and brown.

Careful when you bite into them, the insides are HOT!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.