This vintage spray paint hue is housed in a gold can, with a red Krylon logo, a pearlescent lime-gold cap, and a white plastic inner shield for the tip. An old Indy car, hand-drawn in sparse lines and a few colors in the style of the mid-70s, adorns the middle of the can, below the words METAL FLAKE. The cap actually glitters when held to the light.

The original price, $2.19, is covered by a white sticker. Nowadays, this sort of decorative, metallic enamel paint costs $4-6. There is a Borden logo near the bottom of the can, further indicating its great age...

As for the color itself, Krylon LeMans Lime Gold No. 3303, it's a sublime spring green/gold color, with a metal-flake finish. It's the coolest can of paint I've ever seen with my own eyes. I had the good fortune to score it off an immense hardware store, on the Lincoln Highway out in the boondocks somewhere...

The exact date of manufacture of this can is unknown at the moment, but the ingredients (which are no longer listed on most spray paint cans) are as follows:

Pigment 0.8% - Aluminum Powder 42.9%, Tartrazine Yellow 57.1%, Total 100.0%. Non-Volatile (from vehicle) 13.4% - Cellulose Nitrate, Oil Free Alcohol Derived Alkyd, Dioctyl Phthalate; Volatile 85.8% - Ketones, Esters, Alcohols, Aromatic, Aliphatic and Halogenated Hydrocarbons. Total 100.0%.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.