If you are unlucky in your years of Linux and LILO usage, you'll see this prompt more often than you want to. Usually, this prompt comes if you're LILO isn't working right, with one of the following error codes:

  • (nothing)
  • No part of LILO has been loaded. LILO either isn't installed or the partition on which its boot sector is located isn't active.
  • L error
  • The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started, but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error codes indicate the type of problem. This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry mismatch.
  • LI
  • The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
  • LIL
  • The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't load the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a media failure or by a geometry mismatch.
  • LIL?
  • The second stage boot loader has been loaded at an incorrect address. This is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
  • LIL-
  • The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map installer.
  • LILO
  • All parts of LILO have been successfully loaded. (Yeah, I know, that's not an error.)

In most cases the solution is to follow the procedure given below :

  • Install the LILO-data below the 1024 cylinder boundary (if not yet done). This includes installing the necessary Linux kernel as well as the files stored in /boot and the bootsector which will contain LILOs start-up code.
  • Reinstall LILO with the command
  • # /sbin/lilo
Thanks to SuSE's support database for this information.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.