La Leche League International's (LLLI’s) mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and the mother.

LLLI was founded in 1956 - the time of the all time low in breastfeeding rates in the US (barely 20% of mothers initiated breastfeeding then). Seven mothers who wanted to breastfeed their own infants despite the prevailing culture united to share information and support. Since then the organization has grown to 8,000 leaders and 3,000 local groups in the United States alone. The LLLI philosophy centers around the belief that breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a child. See http://www.lalecheleague.org/philosophy.html for more information. LLLI does not participate in other causes. It is strictly a breastfeeding support organization.

On contacting LLLI one may receive local phone support or call the national 1 800 LALECHE national phone # (in the US), go to local group support meetings, or local, regional & national; even international educational meetings, receive written information in the form of pamphlets, magazines and their book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or articles published on the web. There is even an online breastfeeding help form. See http://www.lalecheleague.org/contact.html.


SOURCE:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.