The Diablo was the third great Lamborghini supercar, descendant of the Miura and the Countach. It was designed with only one guideline: it must be capable of at least 315 kph (more than 190 mph)! Five years and six billion lire later, the newest Lamborghini was christened with the name of a legendary Spanish fighting bull: Diablo.

At the heart of the beast was a 5.7 liter V12 engine. Four camshafts, fuel injection (with help from Weber and Marelli), and just under 500 horsepower. The lightweight body used a steel frame and roof, aluminum fenders and doors, and various composites. The Diablo was much more aerodynamic than the Countach, and reached 340 km/h on its first top speed test.

The Diablo VT (Viscous Traction) was released in 1993. Unlike the standard model, it had a four wheel drive system and electronically-adjustable suspension. The same year, the SE30 went into limited production. It was rear wheel drive, but was 150 kilograms lighter and 30 horsepower stronger, with adjustable traction control. Only 30 were produced.

The Diablo SV (Sport Veloce) was introduced in 1996. With shorter gearing, it could accelerate faster than other models, but could not match their top speed. The related SV-R had much stiffer suspension and came prepared for competition with a roll cage and harness. The ultimate Diablo was unveiled in 2000. The Diablo GT (Gran Turismo) sported a 6-liter, 575 horsepower engine with electronically-adjustable suspension. After the GT, production ceased to begin making the Lamborghini Murcielago.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.