As autumn approaches, the first harvest comes upon us and the bread-baking season begins. For the festival of Lughnasadh, the first of three "harvest" holidays before midwinter, it is good to bake a special bread to share with friends at those picnics that are stolen while the weather's still good. This yeast bread, incorporating a heavy mixture of two kinds of flour and peanut butter and topped with sesame seeds, is sure to be a great treat for early autumn.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the peanut butter and the honey to the hot milk and stir to combine. Cool milk mix until it reaches 115ºF. Stir milk mix into flour mix. Knead for 15 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make a smooth, elastic dough. Oil the dough's surface, then cover with plastic or a damp towel. Let it rise in a warm spot until double. Punch down, then shape into 2 rectangle loaves or one large wreath. Let rise again until doubled. Bake at 375ºF until golden; it should make a hollow sound when tapped.

Yield: 1 large or 2 regular loaves
Source: Paraphrased from Stern, The Fairy Party Book
Use for: Lughnasadh

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.