Classic movie star whose film credits include "The Postman Always Rings Twice," "The Adventures of Marco Polo," "The Three Musketeers," "Peyton Place," and "The Bad and the Beautiful."

Turner was born in 1921 to John and Mildred Turner in Idaho. Her birth name was Julia Jean Mildred Frances Turner. Growing up, she had a passion for music and loved to dance. She went to movies as often as possible, and was originally interested in becoming a fashion designer.

When she moved to California she was spotted by someone in the entertainment business in front of The Top Hate Cafe (not Schwab's Drugstore, as is commonly believed). Her name was changed to Lana and she began her acting career.

Further on, after Lana Turner became known as a screen goddess, she began to get calls from John Steele, who happened to be a mob associate for Johnny Stompanato. Steele was extremely abusive in their relationship, and would not allow her to leave him. During one of their more heated arguments, Turner's daughter, Cheryl, walked in and feared for her mother. She attacked Steele with a kitchen knife and killed him.

Many of Turner's movies have been nominated for Academy Awards and she was nominated for one herself for her role in "Peyton Place." She also appeared on television's Falcon's Crest as Jacqueline Perrault in the late 1970s.

She died of throat cancer in 1995 with her daughter at her side.

Help for this node came from www.cmgww.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.