Regarded by many soccer (football outside of the US) pundits as the future of American soccer, Landon Donovan is a 20-year-old forward/midfielder who is coming off a stellar performance in the 2002 World Cup.

Donovan left high school in Redlands, California at age 16 to sign with German soccer club Bayer Leverkusen. After getting no playing time in two seasons, he received permission from the club to join Major League Soccer. He was assigned to the San Jose Earthquakes, whom he led to the league title in his first season while leading the team in assists.

Donovan scored two goals in World Cup play and was instrumental in USA's wins over heavily-favored Portugal and longtime-rival Mexico. He dominated the offensive attacks in the team's quarterfinal loss to Germany, nearly connecting on several opportunities.

Donovan's speed and tenacity will only make him a better player in the coming years. A return to Europe, as is expected, will only help polish his game and mold him into a goal-scoring force by the 2006 World Cup.


Height: 5'8"
Weight: 148 lbs.
Birthdate: 03/04/1982

YEAR  TEAM                      GP GS    MIN  G  A PTS
-------------------------------------------------------
2001  San Jose Earthquakes      22 17  1,666  7 10  24 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.