Layamon, Middle English "La3amon," was a medieval poet who wrote the first major work on King Arthur in the English language. His Brut (ca. 1200) is an epic poem recounting the history of Britain from its legendary founding by the eponymous Trojan Brutus after the destruction of Troy by the Greeks up to the death of Cadwaladr. La3amon's poem closely follows its immediate source, the Norman French Roman de Brut by Wace, which itself cribs heavily from Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae, but La3amon broke new ground in foregrounding Arthur as a national hero-king of the grand Germanic tradition, and is the first to mention various events connected with the stories of characters such as Merlin, King Lear, and Cymbeline.

La3amon is generally considered the first major Middle English poet, but his lexicon is almost pure Anglo-Saxon. In the 32,341 lines of the Brut, scholar Robert Lomis counts only 120 words of French or Latinate origin. Nevertheless, in its innovative meter, transitional grammar, and widespread readership, La3amon's Brut is considered a watershed in the development of Middle English prosody and the popularization of King Arthur as a British national hero.

Of La3amon himself, we know almost nothing beyond what he himself tells us in the poem, describing himself as "a humble priest" attached to the church at Ernley (modern Arley Kings in Worcestershire). The name "La3amon" itself means "man of laws" but what exactly that tells us about the poet's life is difficult to say. The letter in "La3amon" typically represented with a "y" in modern English (and a "3" in this writeup) was the Middle English letter yogh, which represents sort of a gutteral "gh" sound.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.