When playing a par-5 golf hole, and you have too long to go to get to the green, and the penalty for missing the shot will likely lead to a bogey or worse, it's a wise idea to layup with another club. Typically, good golfers will pick a spot 100-150 yards from the green to try to layup to.

You may have to layup on a par 4 if you can't reach the green in two because of trees or distance. This is nothing to be ashamed of.

Poor golfers never layup.
A layup is a type of shot in basketball. The shot is performed close to the basket and has a high percentage chance of going in, when done correctly.

For those who do not know the basics of this shot, here is a step by step guideline for a successful layup.

For this example, I will assume that you are right handed, going in for a layup on the right side of the basket.

1. Dribble the ball towards the basket and angle your path at a 45 degree angle to the backboard.

2. Just before you reach the painted box on the right side of the court, stop dribbling and take a step with your right foot, then your left, still at a 45 degree angle with the basket.

3. With the ball balanced on your right hand, your elbow at a 90 degree angle, push your right elbow upwards and raise your right knee. This step should be performed as if there was a string connecting the bottom of your right elbow to the top of your right knee. Release the ball with a flick of the wrist, aiming it at the top right corner of the square on the backboard.

4. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Variations on this basic skill include the reverse layup, where the player approaches the hoop from the right side (say) of the court but releases the ball after going under the hoop and ending up on the left side. Another alternate is the finger roll, which is best described by watching video clips of Michael Jordan. Or, if you were tall, unlike myself, you could just dunk it.

Now, this is a skill that takes practice, and isn't quite as easy as it looks on TV the first time. However, it is a life skill that is imperative should you ... I'm not sure when, but I'm sure it will be. Take my word on this one!

Graffiti slang for a set of tracks which branches off from a rail line into a dead end and is used to store rolling stock and accomplish loading and unloading from factories. There may be only one or several offshoots in the same area, both will be called a layup. Frequently the layup will be built so that a boxcar sitting on a section of the track with it's side door open will have the floor flush and level with a loading dock to make loading with a forklift easier. Writers find this arrangement useful for painting wholecars since the side of the boxcar now starts at ground level instead of chest height, and flat concrete is much easier to position ladders on than sloped gravel.

Hunting and exploring in industrial areas to find layups is an obsessive yet rewarding past-time. Some writers work delivery jobs which allow them to visit a cities cracks and corners as much as possible because it helps them locate layups for after hours. How close a house or apartment is to freight yards or layups can be an important part of picking the right new home, depends on dedication. Sidings and sidetracks will be called layups by most writers, railfans and railroad workers will probably not use that name.

One of the most enjoyable and difficult moves in basketball is the layup.

A layup is a sort of shot that requires a soft roll of the ball up in the air into the hoop. The layup is also fun to watch and used because of the many ways of doing a layup.
A layup can involve a finger roll (a way of rolling the ball high in the air to cause the ball to go into the hoop without touching the rim) or a pump (a sort of fake shot that causes the defender to jump or swat the ball while you layup shortly after and at a different place) or an around the back (moving the ball around your body to keep it from the defender).

Most layups are easy to do when playing against a bad player but the better the defender the better the layup must be. From my amount of experience I would say that the best ability to gain when trying to do layups is the ability to layup as far from the defender as possible . When one can layup from a fairly far distance away from the defender it becomes more difficult for the other player to swat or block the ball. The problem with layups far from the hoop is that it becomes more difficult to aim.

practice makes perfect. I suggest playing against no one at first until you feel confident that you will not make a fool of yourself in a real game.
Note , I have done this many times, doing a layup too high or too slowly; I was then blocked and I have at many times been told to "get out of the kitchen" .

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.