Lazy Eddie is the hypothetical character that causes the downfall of a communist state. He is an explanation for why any political structure based on "From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs" can not possibly succeed. Lazy Eddie is most often brought up in debates among the politically unsavvy- fourteen year-olds on punk rock message boards, high school Government classes, etc.

You see, in a world where the only incentive to work is for the good of society, there will always be some who choose not to, right? The guy who says "Fuck it, everything I need will be provided for me whether I contribute or not," is why any Marxist/Leninist/Maoist communist/socialist/collectivist economic or political system is (so the idea goes) bound to fail.

That guy is Lazy Eddie, close cousin to Inherently Criminal Isaac, bane of anarchists everywhere.

So the next time someone tries to tell you why Communism is a good idea, just pause, clear your throat, and say "What about Lazy Eddie?"

Note:This is conversational shorthand colloquial to (and invented by) my group of friends. This argument is common enough that I think the term will prove useful.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.